We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liveaboard Dive Trip in May

san francisco
Level Contributor
482 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Liveaboard Dive Trip in May

Been looking into a live aboard dive trip that is occuring the first 2 weeks of May, next year. This will be my first trip to Raja Ampat. I am just concerned about the weather that time of year and currents.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences during that time of year, although i know that weather cannot be predicable.

Malaysia - Fiji
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Liveaboard Dive Trip in May

This is what we say about the Raja Ampat dive season:

Most Indonesian liveaboards visit Raja Ampat during the months of October until the end of April, although it is possible to find a few boats running trips all the year round. During the months of July to mid-September, strong winds and rain can cause rough seas, causing boats to schedule other areas to visit and closing some of the dive resorts in this period.

However, it is possible to enjoy diving in West Papua all year round since several boats leave the islands of Raja Ampat and move east along the north coast of Papua into Cenderawasih Bay. Here you can find whale sharks at any time of the year and many of the dive sites are sheltered from rough seas.

The Papua provinces of Indonesia have 2 rainy seasons - in November/December and again in July/August. Sea temperatures are pretty constant, ranging from a low of about 27°C between May to October, to 30°C in the November to April period. It can rain here at any time, not just during rainy season.

October to April is a time when plankton blooms reduce visibility but bring greater numbers of manta rays to the area.

san francisco
Level Contributor
482 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liveaboard Dive Trip in May

Thanks for your reply. May seems not to be mentioned, only July-September. Is it a "borderline"time?

Also, I have been reading about the strong currents and have been getting a little freaked out. Any feedback about the danger of diving in strong currents? Have not had alot of experience with currents.

3. Re: Liveaboard Dive Trip in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Raja Ampat