We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone stayed at the Papua Explorer Resort in Raja Ampat

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone stayed at the Papua Explorer Resort in Raja Ampat

Hi everyone!

My partner and I are planning to go to Raja Ampat next April. We are tossing up between 2 dive resorts: Papua Paradise Resort and Papua Explorer Resort. I've read the reviews for Papua Paradise and it seems like an awesome resort! I came across Papua Explorer when I was researching and it looked really nice too and I think it opened recently... I also liked it because it offers daytrips to Wayag and other islands at a reasonable price whilst Papua Paradise doesn't offer a trip to Wayag. Nevertheless Im worried about Papua Explorer due to the lack of customer reviews...

If anyone has stayed at Papua Explorer resort, can you guys please post about what your experience was like?

Thank you so much :)

Mentioned in this post
Raja Ampat
Raja Ampat
West Papua, Indonesia
Madrid
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Papua Explorer Resort in Raja Ampat

Hi!!

We are in the same situation than you!

Hope someone could tell us something about the Papua Explorers.

Good luck!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Papua Explorer Resort in Raja Ampat

We've got a trip to Papua Paradise planned in a few weeks, and they will do trips to further-out locations on request. Not sure what the prices are like, but I'm sure you could email them. I don't know anything about Papua Explorers. Good luck with your trip!

Istanbul, Turkey
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Papua Explorer Resort in Raja Ampat

I stayed papua explorers last week. It was perfect. Rooms were clean and comfortable, food was great.

It is very close to the most of the north raja ampat diving sites. It is a bit far to wayag islands though but they can take you there. I preferred a similar other location because it takes three hours to get wayag.

I have been in indonesia and sabah, malaysia for the last four years. Raja ampat was the best.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Raja Ampat
Raja Ampat
West Papua, Indonesia
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
112 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Papua Explorer Resort in Raja Ampat

Never been to Papua explore but considering to go there next year. End of Last year, we stayed at Kri Eco resort and quite happy; The resor is very basic, but first class dive operation.

I know the ex-Kri manager is working for Papua explorer now.

Legnano, Italy
Level Contributor
18 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Papua Explorer Resort in Raja Ampat

Siamo anche noi nella stessa situazione ma abbiamo prenotato per na settimana a cavallo tra marzo ed aprile 2014 e sono stati davvero molto gentili.

Seguirà quindi una nostra recensione.

Sanur, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Papua Explorer Resort in Raja Ampat

Hi all,

I just came back from Papua Paradise.

There's nothing really I can complain about. Everything was well organized.

Chris, Leah and the DC managers are doing a fine job.

There's quite some development going on. They are building a new dive center and a new kitchen so as three brand new speed boats apparently who will arrive somewhere at the end of December. They're also building new rooms. Call them more upscale if you want but no air-conditioning or TV's. Looks like the furniture and amenities are from a higher quality. They will also have a separate sundeck in front of the balcony which is one of the differences with the current rooms they sell for now.

Food was good, rooms were spacious and clean. They even clean it while you're having dinner and burn some mosquito coil. I had to get used on the sound of the waves during the night underneath the balcony but it didn't took long to get used to. Private bathroom, coffee and tea making facilities. Big balcony with a hammock, normal chairs and some long chairs.

They don't only have local guides but also guides from Manado who are fantastic spotters. Deni is local as well and comes from Jakarta and worked before for Wakatobi for several years. All 3 of them are very professional and dive according to the best standards. There was an extra charge for Fam and Passage. I went on both of them and I have to say that I was blown away by Fam. To me Passage was not my cup of tea. When I was there for 2 weeks then we also went twice a week to Mansuar area for diving. One time was Manta Sandy and two more dives in the area (Call it a day trip without extra charges. It's included in the package) another time was Kri area which has some great diving as well. I loved night diving the most especially on the house reef. They also have picture dragonet and mandarin fish in the back of the island.

Chris and Leah go out of their way to make you happy. You can tell that they work hard to accomplish a good standard. I wasn't expecting too much as I knew I would be staying in the middle of nowhere but I can tell that the whole experience exceeded my expectations.

There's nothing much I can say about Papua Explorers. Looks like a nice resort though. It's being run by a Turkish travel agent if I'm not mistaken. I have considered to go there as well but at the end I chose for Papua Paradise because of the good reviews they have.

Mentioned in this post
Manado
Manado
North Sulawesi, Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Papua Explorer Resort in Raja Ampat

Hi

I just came back from Papua Explorers yesterday and I can recommended it wholeheartedly.

Its located close to all of the famous dive sites like sardines, chicken reef and blue magic (oceanic mantas) and the dive guides are all really good and professional. One of the local guides, Herfil is outstanding at finding macro. Like wisnu315 already mentioned, the Kri ex manager is now working at Papua Explorers.

The food and accommodation was super and the staff really friendly. As a bonus, the red bird of paradise lives on the island and the resort arrange morning and afternoon trips to see it. Definitely recommended!

/m

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Papua Explorer Resort in Raja Ampat

Thanks for comments everyone - what was the house reef like by the way? Thanks Lucy

Vienna, Austria
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Papua Explorer Resort in Raja Ampat

hi

we stayed at papua explorers at feb/march 2014 and can extremly recommend it. very friendly and helpful staff, they know a lot about life in and above the ocean, perfect diving, new resort at the great dive spots, fine for snorkellers as well, super food, very eco-friendly. luxury in a decent way. have fun! eva

Hong Kong
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Papua Explorer Resort in Raja Ampat

Hi,

Are the rooms at Papua Explorer with air conditioning or not?

Thank you.

Edmond

Edited: 17 April 2014, 01:06
Get answers to your questions about Raja Ampat