We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North of Walhalla

South Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
North of Walhalla

Hiya, we'll be travelling from Walhalla to Omeo. All our maps are telling us to go back south to the main highway and through Bairnsdale etc, are we able to just continue north through Walhalla? I'm thinking they could be serious 4wd tracks? We do have a 4wd but we're not wanting creek crossings or mountain hill climbs.

We'll be travelling in March.

3 replies to this topic
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
211 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North of Walhalla

North from Walhalla you will get to Woods Point and Jamieson. From there you could take the Licola Rd and then on to Maffra and Bainsdale. Or up to Mansfield across to Tolmie and around Mt Buffalo to pick up the Great Alpine Rd. But you are correct no direct roads that are not 4wd only. A good topographic map could help to find smaller dirt roads. The area you are crossing is mountainous bush wilderness.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
211 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North of Walhalla

If you have low range you would be fine if not going in winter as most of the back roads close. It depends on how much time you want to spend. the fastest may be the main roads. You can cross Stirling and pick up the licola road. There are plenty of good publications on 4wd trips in the vic high country.

Edited: 09 December 2013, 22:21
South Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North of Walhalla

Thanks, I reckon we'll do as the GPS says and go the 'main' route. We'll be dragging a camper trailer too and I can see the 4wd route taking a loonnnngggg time! ( although I can also see that my partner is dying to go the long way round)

Reply to: North of Walhalla
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gippsland