We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

newest review for Mayanabo... lmao

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
newest review for Mayanabo... lmao

OK I really am open minded but this review is really misleading .... Thank heavens they won't be returning. The poster is correct thought , everyone is entitled to their own opinion but at least be factual and honest.

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion... this resort is an ABSOLUTE DIVE!!! totally disgusting... food is gross.... rooms have bugs and beds are broken.... weather was rainy for 4 of our 7 days there... bus ride to resort is REDICULOUSLY LONG and bumpy and SCARY in the dark with NO STREET LIGHTS... staff are very kind, and new huts were being built when we were there so im not sure what it looks like now. i would never return to this resort if i only paid $100 to go!!!"

There are so many repeat guests at this resort, I can assure you it isn't a complete dive, it may be a 3 star but not a dive.

I still will never understand how you can say the food is disgusting when they have, yogurt, fresh fruit, fresh bread, toast, eggs, omelette bar, juice, cereal, coffee, sometimes sausage or bacon, pastries, they even have fresh tomatoes, cheese if you want to make a sandwich and of course the Cuban croquettes, french toast, pancakes etc etc for breakfast. They have meat, fish sometimes, rice, salads and fresh veggies, fresh bread, soup, banana chips, pastries and cakes etc etc for lunch, They have a selection of meat, fish, potatoes, rice, soup, salad, hot veggies, bread, pasta bar, grill, sometimes pickles, pastries, cakes, sometimes ice cream (not in low season as a rule) wine, beer, coffee etc for supper. They even have a snack bar open from 11 to 5 with pizza, hot dogs, hamburgs, fish and chips and a small salad/fruit bar. The salad bar has what is available, you may not get all of those all the time but generally they do have hamburgs and pizza and fries, depending on the season.

I have never seen a bedbug there in all my visits, I HAVE seen people take towels to the beach and bring them back to their rooms or go out at night and not spray their lower legs which inevitably may result in sand flea bites. I am not saying bed bugs cannot exist, I am saying many people assume any bites they have are from their beds when in actual fact it's from bringing critters back to the room.

If a bed is broken, ask maintenance to fix it. Duh.

The weather is not the resorts fault. That's a ridiculous statement.

The ride is not that ridiculously long.... it's 1 hour and 20 minutes and yes it's a little bumpy. We always have a blast on the ride to start the holiday LOL. Just for the record we don't have street lights on our highways and country roads either Einstein. <rolls eyes>. Good thing you didn't holiday in the Dominican Republic a few years ago and fly into Puerto Plata and then take a 3.5 hour bus ride to Samana to holiday .... I did .... it was great LOL

Anyway.... I am getting a little tired of reviews that blame things like weather, dark nights, no face cloths for having a bad holiday .... Good Lord.

At least they liked the staff. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: newest review for Mayanabo... lmao

breezey! what's with the crutches? did someone bite you? did you fall off a horse at santa lucia? was it something we said? the 3 amigos

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: newest review for Mayanabo... lmao

We arrived home from Santa Lucia Apr 23rd. I injured the MCL in my left knee the morning of the 27th, spent the 29th in hospital all day while they tried to figure out what they should do . I have avoided surgery once again. In time I know I will have to have 2 joint replacements but the Doctors and I are hoping to put it off for as long as possible. They keep telling me I am too young to have it done, which is fin e with me. I don't want surgery and it's the only time I hear I am too young LOL. I don't have knee caps and have pins in both tibias to hold the tendons in place.... now the OA is bad in both because of the multiple surgeries. It could be worse... I am still walking and plan on keeping it that way for a long time. On a good note I can walk around the lower level of my house now for a bit but need crutches when I go out or on the stairs.

Thank goodness it didn't happen in Cuba, I might still be there. I definitely could not have flown home.

Edited: 16 May 2010, 14:01
Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: newest review for Mayanabo... lmao

my, goodness! take care of yourself! the shadow aka fang has 2 atificial hips and a knee as well. still getting around just fine and is still his irasicible, grumpy old self! lol. carol e.

Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: newest review for Mayanabo... lmao

I think we're all getting there. I was telling breezy in a pm that I've been suffering from a wicked bout of sciatica for the first time in my life since I got back from Cuba. Never had it before and hoping I never get it again. Almost back to normal now, except my right leg is still numb from the knee down. You know, I always used to say I still feel like I'm 21...can't really say that anymore, although I still act like I'm 16 much of the time. lol Jen's back is out too...been doing the robax shuffle for the last week. It sucks getting old! lol

Breezy, hope you'll be throwing those crutches away soon. Stay too young! And in my best Ricardo Montobon accent...remember my darling, it is always better to look good than to feel good. ;-)

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: newest review for Mayanabo... lmao

must be wearing and lugging all that equipment! I always come back healthier than when we went! lol. get better soon. the 3 amigos.

16. Re: newest review for Mayanabo... lmao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Playa Santa Lucia
Recent Conversations