We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Camaguey Customs Tougher Than Other Parts Of Cuba?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is Camaguey Customs Tougher Than Other Parts Of Cuba?

I have been to Cuba now 4 times (3 Varadero and 1 Santa Lucia). I have never had my luggage tagged and searched until Camaguey. Looking around it was not just me, the room was full, with a line of people waiting. I knew when I saw writing on my luggage tags there was going to be an issue. Security pulled all the marked bags off the belt in the beginning and we were unable to access them until all of the unmarked luggage was removed.

I am still not sure what set them off, the luggage they went through was gifts but mainly clothing. We went around in circles and with some fast talking and jokes I was on my way in about 20 minutes, to the surprise of the male security guard. My passport was recorded and given back to me. I listened the entire time to a gentlemen at the table next to mine being lectured for bringing a hot plate as a gift. She let him know that everything the Cuban people needed was supplied to the government and this would not be allowed into the country. He had the option of picking it up on his way home, which he declined exclaiming it cost $24.99 and he would rather they confiscate it and then she could take it home, which she assured him would not happen.

Has anyone else had issues at Camaguey airport?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Camaguey Customs Tougher Than Other Parts Of Cuba?

I've been numerous times true Camaguey's airport and they were always pretty relaxed, especially compared to Santa Clara or Holguin. Maybe they were doing an exercice, or they had received a tip and were looking for something specific.

In any case, the hot plate was confiscated because it's a prohibited item, you cannot bring it to Cuba, like stated on aduana's website.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,490 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Camaguey Customs Tougher Than Other Parts Of Cuba?

every once in a while we get the trainees! can be a royal pain but we just work our way thru it. for some reason electircal things like irons [ which we never carry ], computer [ which the grumpster brings for uploading pics ] and ham radio equipment for the local club [ which we have documentation for ]sometimes means a delay and a second look. at one point a poor fellow had everything checked, including squeezing his toothpaste. I've brought in and passed thru some innteresting items. lol. carol e. and the grumpster. p.s. he has artifical hips and a knee and boy, does that light up their life. rofl

Edited: 10 January 2013, 03:07
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Camaguey Customs Tougher Than Other Parts Of Cuba?

Hola

santa clara airport, these days seems to be a little easier to me (last year or so) both coming and going, have taken some items that they asked me about but no duty.....so far..lol.

cheers.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,765 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Camaguey Customs Tougher Than Other Parts Of Cuba?

They now have staff checking the tags as you leave at Holguin Airport. If the items are tagged on the carousel before it comes into public view, you will pulled aside and your luggage searched.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,274 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Camaguey Customs Tougher Than Other Parts Of Cuba?

They have the tagging system in Camaguey too but it's pretty relaxed. We have taken everything from drills, laptops, bicycle tires, fishing tackle, drills bits, meds, etc etc. The only time we had a problem was when they questioned a whole suitcase with school supplies and they wanted me to pay $50 to which I replied, "para escuela.. no duty..." and I left with the case to take to el Rubi and no duty charged.

They like to tag cases with electronics but so far it hasn't been an issue... <crosses fingers>

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Camaguey Customs Tougher Than Other Parts Of Cuba?

I think Gengen is right, they must have been doing an exercise, it all seemed quite random. We leave again shortly with more family, I hope it doesnt happen to my mother inlaw lol

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,274 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Camaguey Customs Tougher Than Other Parts Of Cuba?

lol cj.. good luck to your MIL ;-)

8. Re: Is Camaguey Customs Tougher Than Other Parts Of Cuba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Playa Santa Lucia