We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it windy in Santa Lucia in April?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is it windy in Santa Lucia in April?

Going for the first time to cuba for 2 weeks April 5 - 19th and worried it will be be windy or cold. Is the water warm then as well?

I booked the vacation in haste because of the great price now just worried about the weather.

Staying at the Brisas.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it windy in Santa Lucia in April?

Windy? It can be, but certainly not cold. Water should be nice. No point in worrying about the weather. Maybe you can tell me what it will be like in Toronto on those dates. The forecasters don't seem to know. ;-)

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it windy in Santa Lucia in April?

depends on whether kitchenerRamon shows up! he seems to bring turbulence with him so he can go kiteboarding. I wonder if santa lucia has a search and rescue unit? seriously though, if the weather off the atlantic is bad you'll get the winds. brisas' real name is quatros vientos.... 4 winds. lol. carol e.

Kingston, Ontario...
Level Contributor
312 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it windy in Santa Lucia in April?

Even if it is windy, I can guarantee it will NOT be as cold as it will be in Toronto! I have been to Santa Lucia many times in the past 2 years and can honestly say that I have never worn more than just a light jacket - and that's only at night on rare occasions. I get MUCH more use out of my bathing suit and shorts than my jackets and fleece tops! You'll be just fine.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it windy in Santa Lucia in April?

ooohhh! we have had a number of cool times over 25 trips to santa lucia since 2007. some nites we have worn track suits. and we have been every month except for july and august. can guarantee heat then lol. carol e. never say never. we went to jibacoa april 2008 and it was warmer in toronto than on the atlantic side for 36 hrs.

Kingston, Ontario...
Level Contributor
312 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it windy in Santa Lucia in April?

I've been INCREDIBLY lucky in the past 2 years! I've been in January, March, April, June, September, November, and December and the worst was a mere 2 days last year, just after Sandy went through. It was "coolish" for 2 days. And rain, maybe 5 days over the past 2 years. I guess I have a little sunshine over my head at all times! Lucky me!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it windy in Santa Lucia in April?

I've been Jan, Feb, Mar, April, June, Oct and Nov. The coldest was a couple of days in Jan 3 or 4 years ago. and that was only for 36 hours when a cold front came through from Iceland. The Cubans were wearing sweat shirts, toques and jackets if they had one... we teased them and we had a lot of laughs.

In April I would be more concerned about mosquitoes. If it rains a lot before you get there they will hatch. That happened to us once.. OMG it was awful but we still had a great time running away from the smoke fogger lol.

Be sure to take insect repellent, anti itch meds and sun screen so you are prepared. Have a great time!!

Edited: 22 February 2013, 13:09
Whitby, Ontario
Level Contributor
160 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it windy in Santa Lucia in April?

Cold?? lol...you are too funny......been to Cuba in Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, June, & Dec it was alot warmer no matter where you went in Cuba compared to T.O. No mosquitoes in Jan/Feb I find. The pool water seemed to be colder than the ocean water I went to the beach more times then. It can get very windy on Santa Lucia's beach but it's better than being in Toronto. My weather has been good in Cuba can't complain there were some rain showers but they didn't last long, cuban rain lasted 3-4 minutes then gone & i usually rained at night while sleeping so guess I've been a lucky duck too with the weather. It will be what it will be so just make the best of it you will enjoy your trip just the food may not be the best you'll find but I go for the sun sand & beach so I don't care about the food. Brisas beach is a beauty enjoy yourself!

Haliburton, Canada
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it windy in Santa Lucia in April?

Was there last April and you better hope that its windy. The reason I say this is it is bug season there in April and May and if the wind is down you better be covered in deep woods or hiding at night, if not the bugs might eat you alive.. There was a regular there that brought one of those off repelant machines and it worked great.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it windy in Santa Lucia in April?

I've been in April a few times to this area. If it's rainy there will be mozzies. Be prepared. I have been fortunate in the sense we only had 1 visit in April that was bombarded with mosqitoes. It was horrendous. The staff was apologizing to us even though it wasn't there fault. lol Most of the April's I was there it was fine but I always wear insect repellent at night especially from the knees down.

Kingston, Ontario...
Level Contributor
312 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it windy in Santa Lucia in April?

I have taken those mosquito coils down and put one under my chair at the show - I then had no problem at all for the entire show. With all the requests I had, I wish I had taken a large stash of those down with me - I could have made a fortune! What I did do, though, is leave all my unused coils and mosquito repellant with friends at the animation team at hotel - now please, DON'T start yelling at me for gifting! They were necessities of life!

Get answers to your questions about Playa Santa Lucia