We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with a t1d child

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with a t1d child

Hello everyone, I'm travelling to Camaguey for March Break (Mar. 12-19) 2014. We're staying at Gran Club St Lucia Hotel. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on Dec. 23 2013. He had a really stressful Christmas spending 3 days at the hospital for ketoacidosis. Right now, he's responding well to his insulin medications and his doctors advised not to cancel our March Break trip. I just wanted to know if there is a hospital in the area just in case he suffers from travellers sickness as vomiting and diarrhea is very serious for a diabetic. He will need intravenous fluids and insulin drip. Thank you.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with a t1d child

There is an International Clinic for tourists not far from the hotels. It's hard to say if they will have the things you requite but it's clean and very nice. If worse comes to worse, Nuevitas is 70 kms away and Camaguey City is 110 km away.

The doctors also rotate from hotel to hotel. You could find out when you get there where the doctor is so you can ask them if there is IV available right now at the International Clinic for peace of mind.

If you take a taxi there for an emergency it's approx 3 CUC's. They will want to take you back to your hotel by ambulance after treatment... they will charge you 50 CUC's.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with a t1d child

Thank you very much carribean_breezes! As long as there's a hospital nearby, I feel a little bit more safer. : )

If you don't mind me asking, these restaurants that tripadvisor recommends like el Bambu are they walking distance from the gran club hotel? I plan to make this a walking holiday as we've been cooped up a lot here in Ontario with all this extreme winter weather. And in terms of the food being safe, do you have any recommendation? We've been to Varadero 2 years back and we really enjoyed that trip.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with a t1d child

I don't know El Bambu......unless it's the restaurant in Tararoco. If it is...... it's not far. From Gran Club it would likely be a 25 to 30 min walk.

There is a restaurant on the beach called Luna Mar that's nice to to go to for lunch or supper. It's between Caracol and Gran Club so for you a very quick walk.

Also inquire about the dine around programme at Gran Club. You can have a meal at another resort for a change.

You can also take a taxi or horse and buggy to Coco Beach about 8 km away for a meal. You can wander around the beach and village and chat with locals and purchase jewellery etc. from them. You may also see the flamingos on the way :)

You can also walk to El Rapido on the way to Tararoco. You can sit down outside and have a drink or a sandwich or pizza. When you walk in front of the hotels take a bottle of water with you. It's always hotter walking along the road because there is less of a breeze. On the beach it feels cooler. It's a very nice walk to all the resorts :) Feel free to go in and explore them all.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with a t1d child

I think El Bambu is in Santa Lucia, Rafael Freyre, which is near Holguin, the two are frequently confused with one another, but as CB says, Luna Mar is a great little restaurant, reasonably priced. I can relate to your concerns, as my daughter has been diabetic since age 6. Can I suggest that you bring lots of snacks, both sweet, in case of reactions, and others that he likes, just so that he always has something to eat on hand. Also I would bring lots of Crystal Light or equivalent, as diet drinks are not always available and not much choice. Keep an eye on his tests, as the sun, change of diet, water, MAY have an effect on his blood sugar. The clinic should be able to handle anything that comes up, but I would check in with the doctor, make sure they know there is a diabetic child in the hotel. The first few weeks are the worst, then you start to relax LOL Feel free to message me, if you have any questions. Have fun, I know he will!

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with a t1d child

Thank you sailOrman60 for all the information you gave me. I have checked online how far the nearest international clinic is from the resort and it seemed close by. I have left them an email asking if they are equipped with IV drips so I'm just waiting for a reply. I'm going to call the resort, I'm just going to buy a calling card though because they don't seem to have a 1-800 number.

My question is have you travelled with your daughter since diagnosis to the Carribean? And is it hard to travel with their condition? Thank you for the advice, I feel like I'm slowly getting prepared to handle this.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with a t1d child

Tinss_C I have sent you a private message.

7. Re: Travelling with a t1d child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Playa Santa Lucia