We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasons to visit Gourdon?

California
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
Save Topic
Reasons to visit Gourdon?

Going for a week to the Cote D'Azur, basing out of Cannes. Previously visited Gourdon for the Art Deco museum and the Chateau gardens.

But it appears the museum is closed permanently (owner sold off his collection apparently) and the Chateau web site says the Gardens can be visited for groups of 10 or more.

There is a tea room in the Gardens but not sure that lets you into the Gardens to see the views.

Are there other things worth seeing if the Chateau isn't available for visit (I've emailed to ask)? Are there other panoramic points to look out towards the ocean?

I guess if I go to some nearby destinations like Grasse (never been, not sure if there are other draws besides parfum) or Vence, it could be worth the effort to stop by.

I will be going to Verdon and one route may be through Verdon (as opposed to heading west on A8 from Cannes and then N/NW from around Frejus).

8 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasons to visit Gourdon?

There is a viewing point from the old town, but yes it's a long drive for a 45 minute stroll about.

The cote d'azur seems more and more to offer very little for people who want to move about and see things, as opposed to the sit on the beach or by the pool types.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 14:46
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasons to visit Gourdon?

The chateau isn't available to visit and the gardens are not available for individual visits. As far as i'm aware the tea room shut at the same time as the museum

There are thousands of interesting places to see and things to do here but I'm not a huge fan of Gourdon -it has a view when the weather is clear but other places have equally spectacular views . Apart from that it is a chocolate boxy touristy place . Tourettes sur Loup is much nicer IMO

To or from Gourdon via the gorges du Loup is spectacular scenery but not necessarily fun for the driver since you get idiots who park randomly or overtake on blind bends.

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasons to visit Gourdon?

Was in Gourdon last week and the village is still really nice but not much to do apart from strolling and shopping. No view of the ocean that I can recall.

Grasse is ok but more if you're interested in the perfume. I would rather go to vence and St paul de Vence than grasse (but that's me....)

New York
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasons to visit Gourdon?

It's a gorgeous tiny medieval hill top village with hardly any tourists. Worth a visit for sure. Wind your way up the hilly road via Grasse. The view towards the Mediterranean Sea will blow your mind. Much better than the hustle and bustle of Nice and Monaco.

Edited: 01 September 2012, 20:16
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasons to visit Gourdon?

Conversely to Selkie, I love Gourdon and think it is worth visiting for the superb views of the coast below alone, personally. I also really like the drive down towards Vence, going via Les Confiseries Florian and then stopping at Tourrettes-sur-Loup (a prettier version of Gourdon with lovely cobbled streets, a nice square and great views).

As you say Vence is well worth a visit, too, in particular the 'Matisse chapel', Chapelle du Rosaire de Vence.

Edited: 01 September 2012, 20:35
Menton, France
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasons to visit Gourdon?

i am walking the GR 51 that passes through Gourdon, are there any places to stay near by? Thanks for any recommendations.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasons to visit Gourdon?

Since i wrote post 2 , i have re-evaluated Tourettes sur loup and gourdon and i would say that I now think Gourdon has probably edged ahead as a pleasanter place to visit than Tourettes sur loup despite it being chocolate boxy and with little to see apart from the view [in clear weather] but i wouldn't really recommend someone going out of their way to visit either place if staying in Nice.

There are many less twee and touristy places with good views closer easier to reach from Nice.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,156 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasons to visit Gourdon?

There really isn't any "commerce" in Gourdon. 4 or 5 restaurants open at lunch....souvenir shops....that sort of thing. Closest hotels / B&B's would be in Opio.

The village isn't as busy since the Chateau closed.

Reply to: Reasons to visit Gourdon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alpes Maritimes