We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Avignon to Marseille...go on autoroute or around

California
Level Contributor
51 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Avignon to Marseille...go on autoroute or around

Hello,

We will be taking a day trip from Avignon to Marseille in June. We will be driving, and was wondering if there would be a benefit to driving not on the autoroute to Marseille, but instead going through Eyguieres, Salon-de-Provence, Miramas, Fos-sur-Mer, etc and then east to Marseille on more of the 'back' roads.

We will have spent some time driving around near Gordes a few days before this (so will have seen some smaller towns). Thanks for the help!

Israel
Level Contributor
252 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Avignon to Marseille...go on autoroute or around

The answer is - it depends...

Look at what you plan to do in Marseille and how much time you expect it to take, and based on that see how much time you have left for the road there and back.

BTW you don't have to decide now, you can take the autoroute on your way down to Marseille and and you are done with your plans, you can decide which way to get back based on the time left.

California
Level Contributor
51 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Avignon to Marseille...go on autoroute or around

Thanks, Yair G. I was wondering if it was scenic countryside, or was industrial only and not really worth seeing? Or if there were any places that were worth stopping at?

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Avignon to Marseille...go on autoroute or around

Via St Remy and Istres and then direct to Marseille is better from a scenery point of view.

Fos, in particular, is industrial.

Destination Expert
for Provence
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Avignon to Marseille...go on autoroute or around

We have spent every September in Provence since 1995 and still find wonderful things to see and do - I guess that you can tell that we really love the area.

Generally, we drive directly to a given days' chosen destination,and, but we really try to avoid using the Autoroute, unless it is absolutely necessary. We and spend the morning exploring our chosen historical or natural destioatioin and , then enjoy our mid-day meal at a nearby highly-regarded restaurant. We then wend our way back to our base via the most scenic routes ( highlighted in green on the Michelin Maps in the Local Series - - #340 ( Bouches-du-Rhone, Var) and #332 (Drome, Vaucluser). The Michelin Maps in the Local Series are perfect, when used in conjunction with the Michelin Green Tourist Guide for Provence to find things to do.

For places to eat, and things to see and do, we tend to refer to my Word Doc, Les Musts de Provence - but we also love the Michelin Guide for France which focuses on hotels and restaurants .

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Avignon to Marseille...go on autoroute or around

Personally I would hack down the autoroute but first I would tune the car radio to the specific autoroute traffic news (FM 107.7) just to see what the traffic conditions are like. The Lanson toll can get busy and if there is an accident they shut the road.

Personally I find nothing scenic about the drive from Salon via Fos to Marseille

6. Re: Travel from Avignon to Marseille...go on autoroute or around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Bouches-du-Rhone