We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best 'base location' for cycling in the Pyrenees?

Sydney!
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best 'base location' for cycling in the Pyrenees?

the husband & I will be visiting the Pyrenees in June to do some cycling (all the big ones!)

Wondering if anyone can recommend a good town to stay in as a base for a few days?

We will have a car, but a place where you could ride to come of the climbs would be good.

I know when we we in the alps there were heaps of gorgeous towns we hadn't heard about before we went so thought I'd see if anyone had any good recommendations!

Thanks

Sally

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best 'base location' for cycling in the Pyrenees?

If you don't have a car, a small town makes a better base than a village, as it will have a few shops and facilities, which the villages often won't. Ideally you want somewhere in a valley with climbs available in several directions, and both Luchon and Argeles-Gazost are good candidates.

Alternatively there are a few cycling-specific B&B places, often run by expat English-speakers, that can be very suitable. My personal favourites are Chris and Helen at Pyractif in the Garonne valley.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,307 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best 'base location' for cycling in the Pyrenees?

Have a look at the website www.freewheelingfrance.com.

3. Re: Best 'base location' for cycling in the Pyrenees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2017, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Hautes-Pyrenees
More Hautes-Pyrenees Topics