We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking from Florence

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Biking from Florence

I saw this in a frommers guide for Florence, is this possible for anybody or just Lance Armstrong?

How long would it take, and I'll bet some serious hills?

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Biking from Florence

Operettaman and jim r, I might be making a false assumption but I hope you're not thinking of towing children in a trailer behind your bike here in Chianti? DO NOT DO THAT. It would be extremely dangerous. Experienced adults on bikes - yes, by all means. Children on bikes or in trailers, no.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Biking from Florence

Children in a trailer? Noooooooooo! I've come over quite faint at the thought of it. This isn't Holland or Denmark where it's culturally the norm - this is the Chianti. Sorry, not my nature to be so blunt but the mere suggestion is downright reckless. I'm sure you simply don't understand the true nature of cycling on the roads in the Chianti but no responsible parent would allow their child on a bike in any form on these roads.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Biking from Florence

No children, we tow our Jack Russell terrier in his small trailer. It is about the same size as a bike trailer people pull instead of panniers. We deal with this on the roads here all the time. Are you both saying it is unsafe to pull a trailer in Chianti?

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Biking from Florence

Absolutely - dogs are just as much at risk as children, horrible idea. Your average Italian car driver has little or no respect for anything on the road that's smaller than he is. The roads in the Chianti are narrow, windy, hilly but despite this motorists speed along and they won't be on the look out for cyclists, let alone cyclists pulling trailers. I really cannot stress what a bad idea this is. Poor little Jack Russell will be terrified, I beg you not to do this. Sudden thought - maybe you are joking?

Edited: 02 August 2013, 07:03
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Biking from Florence

Not joking, but will reconsider. Do you speak from actual biking experience or are you making an observation/judgement? We ride with him all the time here in Colorado on the roads. Is there any areas in Tuscany that are more bike friendly? I know South Tirol is very bike friendly and has plenty of biking trails.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Biking from Florence

I was in Radda for a long weekend in April and Ican assure you that, even if Chianti Road is absolutely wonderful, I wouldn't bike it. It's narrow and there isn't any bike path.

South Tyrol indeed is very bike friendly.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Biking from Florence

Thanks Tabata_1973. Are there any other areas in your country you might recommend for cycling with our dog?

18. Re: Biking from Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 22:11
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Biking from Florence

Thanks Hakkala. Looks like we will do the biking elsewhere in Italy.

20. Re: Biking from Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 22:16