We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mabula Game Reserve

Which Mabula Private Game Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
12 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Mabula Game Reserve

Hi,

I am planning for a trip to Mabula Game reserve in May'14 and June'14 and have couple of queries.

Is it the right time to visit the Mabula Game reserve?

How is the game viewing in Mabula?

request your inputs. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

20 replies to this topic
11. Re: Mabula Game Reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 11:35

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
12 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mabula Game Reserve

Hi Brett,

Hope you are doing good!

Need your advice.

I am asking my tour operator to switch from Mabula to Kruger, it will be 2 nights and 3 days in KNP and the lodge identified is Bongani Mountain Lodge. I need your expert opinion on this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, NT

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mabula Game Reserve

I'd try to extend my stay in Kruger to atleast 3 nights so that you have 2 full days of game viewing. The above lodge is not actually in Kruger or Greater Kruger for that matter. If you've got the budget then I suggest you look at staying in one of the lodges in the Sabi Sands or Timbavati. More affordable lodges include, Elephant Plains, Gomo Gomo, Africa on Foot, Simbavati river lodge etc. These are all inclusive, meaning you get two game activities and all your meals included in the rate and drinks at some of the lodges. if these are above your budget then try to get accommodation at one of the camps inside Kruger like Lower Sabie, these would be self-catering and self drive but the camps do have restaurants as well as guided game drives. If none of the above fits your budget/preferences then a place like Bongani would fit well if you could arrange game drives into Kruger.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mabula Game Reserve

Hello

Miki has given you great advice. I agree you need to look at the reserves she has mentioned which are part of Greater Kruger or otherwise consider a self drive safari in Kruger Park itself, which is the most budget friendly of all.

As said an extra night would make a huge difference to your experience, two nights is just not enough.

Kruger is the most famous park in SA for very good reason and it would be a shame for you to travel so far and not experience it.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Mabula Game Reserve

Hi again NT,

I'm not sure why my above post was removed, but thanks again for the kind words, and as I said happy to advise you!

I agree with Miki and the sandmans both on the extra night, as well as on your choice of lodge. The reserves mentioned, Sabi Sands, Timbavati as well as Klaserie are all a safe bet, my personal favourite of the private reserves being Sabi Sands for the overall safari experience and generally excellent game viewing. Which lodge exactly is dependant on your budget.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Tailor-Made Safaris & Tours

Edited: 30 January 2014, 12:42
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
12 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mabula Game Reserve

Hi Miki121 and theSandmans, thanks for your inputs... truly appreciate it.

Hi Brett, How are you? 3 nights seems to unanimous verdict... I will go for it and revisit the itinerary and I am not sure who has removed your earlier post... Looks like Mabula Game Lodge guys are actively watching all the comments and nothing seems to be in there favor :-) :-)

Thanks again all.

regards, NT

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Mabula Game Reserve

Hey NT,

I'm doing good thanks.

You have made the right decision, just to decide on where? I'm sure you'll have a few more questions on that.

It could have been TA who removed the post. They dod that if they feel that it is inappropriate for whatever reason, like trying ilicite business which is not allowed, as well as for various other reasons which are in the forum posting guidelines, anyway it's not an issue. I doubt its Mabula though. They are good for a weekend/midweek getwaway for locals, as its fairly close, but like I mentioned earlier and others, its not the place for visitors to SA who have travlled a long way and want a more authentic safari experience.

Cheers for now.

Tailor-Made Safaris & Tours

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
12 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mabula Game Reserve

Hi Brett and Folks out there,

How are you all? I need your expert advice.

My tour operator has 2 options of lodges in KNP area.

1. Imbali Game Lodge ( much closer to Sabi Sand game reserve)

2. The Kapama River Lodge, Kapama River Lodge, Kapama Private Game Reserve.

Which one should i go with? Please suggest.

Best regards,

NT

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Mabula Game Reserve

Hi NT,

I'm good thanks for asking.

Imbali is a lodge in a private concession in the Kruger National Park itself. If it is a choice between the 2, I would much rather go for Imbali as your experience will be more authentic. Kapama is a fenced reserve, and operates in isolation. I believe it is very nice, and more than likely you will have good game viewing, but I think the authenticity of your experience will be lacking.

Regards again.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Mabula Game Reserve

Out of the two I'd definitely go for Imbali!

Reply to: Mabula Game Reserve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mabula Private Game...
Recent Conversations