We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying for a week in Chora Sfakion early June...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Staying for a week in Chora Sfakion early June...

Booked a week here staying at the Lefka Ori to do some local hiking. Looking forward to getting off the beaten track a bit down here. We've looked on the web at all the very useful stuff but can't make nor tail of the KTEL bus timetable!

We're arriving in Heraklion on Tuesday evening about 9pm so understand we'll need to stay overnight. We know we need to change at Vrisses. Could anyone give us an idea of the actual times from Heraklion to Chora Sfakion? We'll get the first bus in the morning.

Many thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Lefka Ori
Lefka Ori
63 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,686 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying for a week in Chora Sfakion early June...

I think the problem is that there isn't much of a service in the winter, only 1 bus a day from Chora Sfakion to Chania at 0700 which returns at 1430 - presumably for the villagers to go to town shopping.

In season I THINK I would expect a timetable to appear on the Rethymnon page:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

which will meet up with the bus from Chania at Vrisses. Or, many of the buses which go from Heraklion to Chania stop in Vrisses, which is OK if you know what time the Sfakia bus comes through. As far as I know, there is no timetabled service as such from Heraklion to Chora Sfakion at any time of the year.

However, as highlighted by my caps above, I'm not an expert in bus travel in west Crete. Unless someone can give the exact times of the summer timetable, you will have to wait till the season starts and the timetables are updated.

By the way, the first bus to Rethymnon/Chania is VERY early - 0530!!

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
948 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying for a week in Chora Sfakion early June...

If you catch the 6.30 from Heraklion bus station Lassithi A.

this should connect with the Chania 8.30 to Sfakia you will need to get off the bus at Vrisses,

the 8.30 from Heraklion should connect with the 11.00 from Chania.

Always double check with the driver that the bus is going into the village of Vrisses and that

you do not have to change buses in Rethymnon.

At the moment Ktel is showing the winter timetable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying for a week in Chora Sfakion early June...

Since time immemorial, there has been a 2pm bus from Chania to Chora Sfakion, which arrives at Vrysses at around 2.30-2.45.

Heraklion-buses are hourly on the half hour, but they don't all call at Vrysses. See the current timetable: the schedule doesn't vary much if at all from winter to summer. The asterisked * buses call at Vrysses:

If you catch the 11.30 bus, you'll be in good time to connect with the 2pm Chania-Chora Sfakion bus. I've done this several times, and it's easy: don't worry about it. You can have a drink in the café where the bus tickets are sold, and look out for the bus, which when it comes stops just across the road.

Do check the timetables nearer the time. You'll find the timetable for the Chania-Chora Sfakion bus on this link:

You've probably discovered the various websites that give information about walks, but just in case not...

http://www.west-crete.com/

sfakia-crete.com/sfakia-crete/sfakia-crete-w…

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying for a week in Chora Sfakion early June...

Too late to edit, I've just seen FDSwansea's post which appeared while I was writing mine. It can't be guaranteed that there will be an 11 am Chania-Chora Sfakion bus in early June: the full schedule may or may not have taken effect by then. If there is one, yes, the 8.30 Heraklion-Chania bus will connect with it.

The 6.30 Heraklion-Chania bus will get you to Vrysses in time to meet the 8.30 Chania-Sfakia bus (which is a fairly sure thing) - if you want to get up that early after a flight and a late night! And if you do, I would suggest you spend a couple of hours seeing a few of the sights of Heraklion, if you haven't already done that - it would be a shame to rush away.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 15:51
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying for a week in Chora Sfakion early June...

Many thanks folks! The 11:30am bus seems to make most sense. Very glad I asked as I was sure it was Bus Station B for some reason!!

Anyone recommend a place to stay overnight in near the bus station??

Thanks

Edited: 21 January 2014, 07:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying for a week in Chora Sfakion early June...

Yes. If you're travelling on a budget, the Irini is fine: clean and decent and adequate for a short stay. If you want something more luxurious, the Lato Boutique Hotel. Both are a few minutes walk from the bus station.

http://www.irini-hotel.gr/

http://www.lato.gr/

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
948 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying for a week in Chora Sfakion early June...

The Megaron hotel is actually on the corner of the bus station , but is about £100 per night!!!!!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying for a week in Chora Sfakion early June...

Thanks again folks. Just booked a room in the Irini - it's only for the night. I'm sure to be back with more bonehead questiond before June!! Regards

Edited: 21 January 2014, 13:24
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying for a week in Chora Sfakion early June...

10 days to go!!! Can't wait......

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying for a week in Chora Sfakion early June...

What are your hiking plans, Reuben? Anything you'd like help with?

Get answers to your questions about Sfakia