We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa

Driving myself crazy. Its just me, solo, celebrating my 60th. Want nice place, not too crazy, don't mind a few kids (better than intoxicated crowd). Comfy bed. Ocean view would be nice. OCT seems less expensive but not by much. Plus for El Cid is you can now also use neighboring new resort? Any input would be appreciated.

14 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
67 reviews
138 helpful votes
1. Re: Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa

I liked and would return to either for good deals. I was privileged at OCT but not El Cid. I had a 1 bedroom suite with great ocean views for both (pic next to my name is from my balcony at El Cid). If the price were the exact same I would pick El Cid. A lot of what we liked at OCT was privileged based. It comes with a suite there and I do not think I would return without it. I had a privileged suite at El Cid too but not the plan. If you have more specific questions I would be happy to try to answer.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa

Wow preziam very helpful. If you don't mind I do have a few more questions. It seems I cannot book any ocean view via Hotels.com, Bookit, etc for El Cid so I am thinking I will need to upgrade once I get there? Was this the case for you? It seems for OCT all the rooms are ocean view but most reviews seem to say if you are not privileged at OCT you would likely regret it (waits for dining, exclusion from pools, etc). Do you agree? So it seems I will pay about the same for an ocean view at OCT as I would for a non-ocean view at Ed Cid. Its nice to see the ocean yeah, but its not a total game-changer for me as I live in San Diego. I think with El Cid my main concern is maybe too many kids. Any input of comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
67 reviews
138 helpful votes
3. Re: Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa

I had a better ocean view at OCT (really ocean front) than El Cid and I knew it would be. The reason is the master suites are all set up in that way. I have read many posts here that every room at OCT is ocean view and they are not. There is a good chance of some view there based on the layout though.

I was privileged at OCT so hard for me to say if I needed it but it is a big part of what we loved there. The best food we ate there was without question in the privileged rest. If you hang at the quiet pool which we did the privileged club and privileged beach section was all really close and our suite was there too. It made using the club easy. We are not people who need privileged but I will tell you every time I have looked at returning knowing I would no longer get the master I have viewed tho cost of privileged. Your odds of ocean view at OCT are better.

I actually think the set up at El Cid is good for not being around kids. The way the main pool is set up most kids are by the water park, cliff dive, and slide section. The other area was much more laid back other than when activities were going on. We sat by the bar every day both times there and had no kids sitting or hanging around us. It is the deeper part of the pool too. I think I got some special treatment for my room and view. At the time the GM of El Cid was very active on here and he and I kept in touch. I did meet others there who got the building next to me and great views whithout privileged or knowing anyone.

I hope that helps in some way. I think you could be happy at either. To sum it for me I know I will return to El Cid one day (and did once). I would return to OCT and might but it is much more an if.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa

SO helpful. Thanks. I will be going to El Cid and hope for an ocean view.

Hopkins, Minnesota
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
34 helpful votes
5. Re: Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa

I don’t know the other hotel but I’m a member of el Cid, which I really like. The new hotel adjacent is called Ventus but guests are allowed to use facilities at either. Ventus has an adults only area, an infinity pool with large hot tubs on either side and a very large deck with bar.. So there won’t be any kids there.

I don’t think kids are annoying. I’ve been more annoyed by loud drunk adults in the hot tubs. One year my room was right outside the original el Cid hot tub, did not care for! They do close the hot tubs at 10 I think. The hot tubs are all adults only.

If you agree to do a timeshare presentation that would certainly be one way to get an upgrade.

Lucky you living in San Diego. Freezing in northern MN!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa

Great advice and info. Thanks

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
4 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa

dolphin pool still at ELCid?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
28 helpful votes
8. Re: Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa

What is the ocean like at these resorts? Rocky? Blue water? Trying to decide where to take the family. and have researched both these resorts. Thanks

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
67 reviews
138 helpful votes
9. Re: Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa

Both of these resorts beaches are just ok. Great to sit on, walk on, or look out at water but not great for swimming. You will not find that blue water you describe like Cancun or Playa Maroma. I swam at the beach at both but water shoes would be helpful which I did not have.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa

Don’t go to El Cid. They keep dolphins penned up. Disgusting!

Reply to: Help me choose. El Cid vs Oceans Coral Turquesa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Morelos