We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EDR to enforce Dress Code

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,389 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
EDR to enforce Dress Code

Hi

I thought I would repost this to give it a bit more prominence.

Exray, who is due to go to EDR any day now received the following e_mail from EDR:

"I'd also like to inform you at this time that as of April 15th 2007 the dress code will be strictly enforced at all our restaurants as follows: Casual Elegant - Pants, shirt, dress shoes for men and, for the ladies, dresses, slacks, skirts and dress shoes. Bermudas, t-shirts, tank tops, shorts, tennis shoes and beach sandals will no longer be tolerated."

This is in my view no bad thing as whilst many people were dressing up some were not making very much of an effort at all [mostly men I have to say] - I mean shorts, flipflops and a vest type top is hardly suitable attire for a 5 star restaurant and that was what I witnessed more than once in D'Italia.

ERC who have a similar dress code enforce theirs - please note that this only refers to the evening.

I however do think that EDR should consider having two dress codes - one for inside AC restaurants [D'Italia and Cocotal] and one for the outside restaurants

New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: EDR to enforce Dress Code

Having just left, I can confirm this. The resort posted broadcast voicemails to the rooms and left fliers on the doors. While it was unfortunate adults had to be reminded, it was clearly sparked by some who showed up for dinner like they just left the beach.

For 99% of us, this is no big deal and we'd dress as requested (usually, better) anyway.

Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
978 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EDR to enforce Dress Code

Having just returned, yes, they sure did make a huge effort last week to enforce the dress code.

I did bring to their attention the fact that the guest books in the rooms clearly state that dress shorts ARE permitted.

On our first night there we did see some shorts allowed.

As of Friday, mens' tennis shoes were being overlooked.

It was still distressing to see denim jeans and athletic pants pass as "long pants", while men were being turned away in very nice Bermuda shorts.

We also saw many ladies abiding by the dress code, who we considered inappropriae - skirts that could barely pass for short shorts, very skimpy halter tops, etc.

I felt sorry for one elderly couple we met, they were blisfully unaware of the dress code until their arrival and had chosen not to purchase new men's trousers in the gift shop, so they were eating their dinners via room service.

I agree, it would be nice to have the choice in certain restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,389 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EDR to enforce Dress Code

I too feel very sorry for the elderly couple - you would have thought he would have packed one pair of trousers.

Room service every night is not something I would like to contemplate

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EDR to enforce Dress Code

This new dress code rule is a big bummer !! My husband & I & another couple booked the EDR 6 months ago for May 6-14th. A big part of why we booked this particular Adults Only All Inclusive was bec/ the men could wear bermuda-style short to dinner. We've been to lots of Adults Only AIs (as we travel to them in the Carib/Mexico 3x/yr) that we could have returned to (were the men CAN wear nice shorts)), but we wanted to try a new resort this time.

My husb & our friend don't want to wear long pants every night (hot, hot, hot). We buy nice (expensive) shorts & shirts (i.e. Hilfiger, Nautica, Polo, Claiborne...) & nice leather sandals (i.e. Clarks) But, I guess that now sloppy jeans & sneakers are more acceptable than classy looking shorts. And, besides, an extra pair or two of long pants take up more room in an already full suitcase !! :-)

Anyway, this is so disappointing to us as we were really looking forward to this vacation. We're changing our resort to the Aventura Spa Palace, since it's one of the few AOAIs left in the Riviera Maya where men can wear shorts to alot of the restaurants. We would have probably switched to one of the Couples resorts in Jamaica, but it's too close to our departure to mess w/ switching our flights around.

Sorry for the rant !! We just wish they would change the rule back to shorts in the next hour or so, before I finalize our switch to ASP w/ my travel agent !! :-)

Jackie

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,389 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EDR to enforce Dress Code

Sorry to hear that you have taken the decision to cancel EDR and move to another resort.

What has happened here is that too many people have pushed the boundary on EDR's dress code to the point the people had started to complain about how other guests were turning up for dinner and being allowed into some restaurants - as one person said recently in a posting on this subject "some people looked as though they had just walked off the beach".

I am sure the class of you husband's and friend's attire was not going to be like that but EDR and trying get back to the idea of dressing for a fine dining experience. After your meal their is no reason why men should not revert to shorts as many people took this option when we were there.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EDR to enforce Dress Code

I know, flipflop_man, I tried the "....but you can just change to shorts after dinner...." routine, but nope, didn't work !! They just don't want to sit in an open air restaurant in 90 degrees w/ long pants on (....all that hot hair on their legs or something... !! )

I really DO understand the 'why' of the new dress code, but based on several of the resorts that we've been to, long pants & closed toe shoes, doesn't necessarily equate w/ looking more presentable !!

Oh well, maybe they'll change the dress code at some point, to some shorts & some pants. If so, then we would definitely book it again. I haven't started planning my 2008 vacations yet, so I can hold out hope for then !! :-)

Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
978 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EDR to enforce Dress Code

We just returned, and boy were they coming down hard on certain dinner attire!

The sad part was that, althoiugh my husband had to go change out of his very nice Bermudas, they allowed guests in denim jeans and athletic pants (the kind with the stripes down the sides) to dine. Also, running shoes were ignored.

The only resaon my husband wore his Bermudas was that we read they WERE allowed (according to the guest book on the desk in our room). He was humiliated to be turned away from Jojo's at the entrance. Following this, we received two voice messages from the concierge and a memo under our door. We later learned that all guests were "reminded" in this manner, but it sure felt to us like he'd broken some sacred taboo at EDR.

We were told that the reason they were becoming more strict is because many of the guests who dress up get upset to have to dine with those wearing casual clothing. It seems that at least an equal number of guests would like a restaurant or two where casual attire is accepted.

I agree that it would be one of the factors in influencing our next vacation destination choice. After all it should be all about relaxing.

Boston
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: EDR to enforce Dress Code

I don't know about you guys but I certainly welcome the rule change. I would much rather eat a 5 star meal surrounded by people who are dressed like they belong in a 5 star restaurant

I obviously would like to wear shorts at dinner but I understand why they are making this rule. So I just went and bought four pairs of linen pants for my honeymoon in June. Problem solved.

Canada
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: EDR to enforce Dress Code

Bandy1080 wrote

" don't know about you guys but I certainly welcome the rule change. I would much rather eat a 5 star meal surrounded by people who are dressed like they belong in a 5 star restaurant

I obviously would like to wear shorts at dinner but I understand why they are making this rule. So I just went and bought four pairs of linen pants for my honeymoon in June. Problem solved. "

Thankfully someone who understands.

Bravo to you

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EDR to enforce Dress Code

JackieMRP

Remember that ERC does allow men to wear dress shorts in the outside restaurants but asks for long pants to be worn in the inside restaurants.

Maybe your men folks would accept this.

IMO ESP is much better in all departments than ASP.