We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from ERC last night...any ?????

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from ERC last night...any ?????

I was at ERC May 19 - 26. I'll try to answer any questions you may have.

Charlotte,NC
Level Contributor
686 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from ERC last night...any ?????

Welcome back! How was your trip? We leave on 6/2. I think I remember you were worried about over packing? Did you wear everything you took? Any issues to be aware of ?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from ERC last night...any ?????

I did not wear everything I took :D I had outfits (complete with matching shoes, don't ya know) for dinner each night but I only went out to dinner 3 of the 7 nights I was there. The primary reasons for this were (1) the broken elevator in my building, (2) spa treatments that left me unwilling to "ruin" them with makeup and showers, and (3) my complete feeling of relaxation and wanting to be lazy in my room.

Aside from the week-long broken elevator, my trip was wonderful!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from ERC last night...any ?????

So what is the truth about drinking the water in Mexico? I've heard some people say that you can't drink it at all, even to brush your teeth, and others say it is fine. I'll be at ERC in August and am just curious about this. Thanks!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from ERC last night...any ?????

Welcome back. I am sorry about the broken elevator. I would love to hear all about your trip. The nights that you ddn't go out did you get room service?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from ERC last night...any ?????

Hi leliz - I would strongly advise against drinking the water. That being said, while at ERC I brushed my teeth with the tap water and drank countless frozen drinks and cocktails with ice. I'm fairly certain that the ice used to make the drinks was from the ice machines on-site. During nightly turn down service, my ice bucket was filled with ice from the building's machine. ERC, as with all good resorts in Mexico, "purifies" their water; nonetheless, I wouldn't drink massive quantities. They provide lots of bottled water in your room and elsewhere.

Outside of the resort, don't drink any water that isn't bottled and don't eat fruit or vegetables that may have been washed in untreated water.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from ERC last night...any ?????

Hi coberg - Yes, I got room service the nights I didn't go out. I really felt so sorry for the waiters because they had to carry very large and heavy trays up 3 flights of stairs. They arrived each time with a smile and never complained or acted irritated. I tipped each generously so they may have been fighting for the chance to make deliveries to my room by the end of my stay ;)

The wait staff was wonderful!

The resort is beautiful and I came back with a killer tan! Please let me know if there is anything in particular you'd like to know about.

Lincolnshire. UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from ERC last night...any ?????

Hello Dizzydallasdi

My wife and i are going to ERC in three weeks and as we are from England could you please advise me on how much to tip. I have changed some uk money to US dollars for tips but i don't know if to take pasos aswell as i'm sure i read that it will cost the staff to exchange the dollers. Do you know if this is true? This is our first trip to Mexico and we are so looking forward to it after reading everyones reviews, I don't think we will be dissapointed.

Thank you

Dean and Sharon

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from ERC last night...any ?????

dizzydallasdi, When we went to Le Blanc they ahd all of the best toiletries. I could have left everything home. i promised my husband we would not check luggage., so space is at a premium. I remember awhile ago I heard that they provided shampoo soap and lotion., but not toothbrushes tooth paste etc. Is that still true?

Wenonah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from ERC last night...any ?????

My fiance and I are going to ERC in July for our honeymoon. I can't wait! Is there anything I should know ahead of time? We've been to Mexico before, but we've never stayed in an all-inclusive. Should we tip? Thanks so much. I'm glad you had a good time.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from ERC last night...any ?????

Hey beano ~ As I'm sure you are aware, tips are included in your room rate so if you want to give something extra, that's totally voluntary. The staff does not expect to be tipped and none of them acted differently if I did or didn't.

US dollars were accepted everywhere, even the little beer stand I stopped at in Puerto Morelos. Due to the broken elevator in my building, I gave the room service guys $3 - $5 depending on the amount of items on the tray they had to carry up 3 flights of stairs. Raquel, the server around the spa pool, was wonderful so I gave her $2 - $3 per day because she anticipated my needs before I asked. I also tipped the daily maid $3/day and gave the nightly turn down maid about $6 for my entire visit.

Some people may feel that my tipping was either too generous or too miserly. Like I said, it's purely voluntary and each person should decide if they want to tip at all.