We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Smell In My Room at ERC

Midwest United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
No Smell In My Room at ERC

Just in case anyone is worried about the most recent review of ERC, I did not have a funky smell in my room. I stayed in building 6, room 6336. It did smell a little bit, but that is to be expected of a beach room near the ocean.

I wouldn't even have called it a bad smell, just a smell. I was used to it w/in seconds of entering the room.

My clothes were a bit musty, but that was from being at the beach, pool, etc. I did not use the laundry service there.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Smell In My Room at ERC

As stated in many ERC reviews on TA, lots of guests experienced a slight musty smell in some of the rooms. However, not that bad and it was quickly gone with the use of the incense or some scented candles. Opening the screen door helped to air the room as well.

We were in Spa building 2 in February and there was a very slight musty smell on entering the room but we did realise that we were in the tropics and it was caused by the high humidity in Mexico.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: No Smell In My Room at ERC

I think some people are more sensitive to smells than others. I do not have a sensitive nose but for some reason my room was particularly musty. I burned incense constantly when I was in the room and also burned sented candles I brought with me. It permeated all my clothes and suitcases. In fact, I noticed this morning that my powder brush still has that smell (I got back 5 days ago). I religiously kept all drains closed and the toilet seat down. One day I left it up and when I got back late in the day the odor was particularly pungent. Lesson learned...didn't make that mistake again!

Both my friend and I stayed in spa building 2, 3 rooms apart. Her room did not have an odor. Go figure!

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Smell In My Room at ERC

That's really strange, Di.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Smell In My Room at ERC

I thought the musty 'smell' was more unfamiliar than unpleasant, and got used to it quickly - it certainly didn't ruin our trip. However I have to agree with the reviewer about the incredibly foul smell in the phone. There simply are no words to describe how truly disgusting it was. I tried wiping it down with antiseptic but it was inside the mouthpiece. Any time we needed to call for something, I made my husband do it.

Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: No Smell In My Room at ERC

I think that the smell has to do with the weather, I have been to excellence resort and there was a slight smell but it was nothing big I brought plug in and the room was fine. I have been to another hotel in Mexico and the room smell really bad plus the sheets on the bed, so I would rather take the slight odor at excellence then the other hotel.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,010 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Smell In My Room at ERC

Quite often resort fumigate rooms to kills of any bugs, etc between allocations and this can be the smell you pick up when you first go in.

Some resorts also use different sparys, etc to what you are used to and this can also seem strange to our noses.

We have always found such smells disappear quickly anyway once you are in the property - candles, flowers, oil burners can soon make the room yours.

Denton, North...
Level Contributor
695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Smell In My Room at ERC

I agree Sunny no smells here and we used the heck out of the insence, by the way girl I need to e-mail you!

How are things going your way, you will have mail shortly. :)

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Smell In My Room at ERC

I wonder why some resorts, like Le Blanc don't have that smell?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: No Smell In My Room at ERC

First let me say we loved this resort. It was peaceful and relaxing and had friendly , accomodating people. We would go back. In response to this post, we noticed a musty smell on bedspread and phone in the room. Ironically I noticed the same smell on the phone at Le Blanc, but it was stronger at Excellence. I found that the bathroom phone did not smell and you can use it outside of the bathroom as it has a long cord but it does not have the room service buttons.

Ocassionally there was a smell that wasn't musty. It was a drain smell. I noticed it a few times in the room and it would dissipate. It seems to be related to the drains as sometimes it was stongest right after maid service. I noticed it at different times in different spots throughout the resort also, once when someonewas using a hose for watering. I don't know that all water is filtered (drinking water definitely is) and I wondered if it could be related to that. If you open the sliding door or light incense, it goes away.

However, the musty smell on the bedspread/phone does not go away with incense.

10. Re: No Smell In My Room at ERC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 23:18