We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Playa Mujeres

New Jersey
Level Contributor
262 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Excellence Playa Mujeres

I apologize in advance for any typo's. I also posted this in the hotel section of trip advisor. I hope this review will help others.

We were on vacation staying at the Royal Cancun last week with a large group of family and friends.

When I contacted the resort to inform them of my interest to bring a group to their resort next year for a special celebration, they went out of the way to accommodate my request to see the progress of the resort.

My husband and I had the luxury of meeting Miguel, one of the project sales mangers for the EPM, who went out of his way with patience to conduct a thorough tour of the resort as well as answer any questions we had.

Having stayed at Excellence Riviera Cancun twice and Excellence Punta Cana once, we were very excited to know that a new Excellence resort was coming to Cancun. Also we knew that based on past experiences, we would plan to vacation their for our next vacation.

EPM is located approximately 30 minutes north of the Cancun airport. From the Royal Cancun Resort we made a right onto the hotel zone and drove about 5 minutes to the downtown circle where we made a right before the circle. We did continue on that road for an additional 10 minutes (this detail is for those trying to determine where the resort is actually located) but unfortunately, I was not familliar with my surroundings so I cant give you the name of the street or town that we were in. Miquel did mention that there is a quicker way to the resort if you are coming directly from the airport because you do not have to drive through the hotel zone to get there. The drive from the airport to the resort should not take longer than 30 minutes.

Upon arriving at the resort, there were about 1000 people at the construction site working diligently to meet the 11/1/07 grand opening. Miguel has assured that they are committed to having a soft opening next week followed by their grand opening on Nov 1st. He says no matter what it will happen.

Looking at how much work still has to get done I questioned him on making this dead line. But I must tell you I saw ERC three weeks prior to its grand opening date. I did not think they would make the opening and they did. So I am hopeful while optimistic that this resort will open on time also.

The resort will have the similiar look and feel of the ERC. Only it will be bigger and in time much better.

Lobby:

Those of you that have visited ERC will remember that directly in front of you when you enter the lobby are glass elevators. At the EPM the elevators have been moved to the sides of the lobby giving you a perfect view of resort, pool and beach. That is actully what you see when you look directly in front of you.

Beach:

Hubby and I both had the same opinion of the beach. It is very simuliar to the Beach at ERC where it is not the beautiful blue green water that we are use to seeing in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, but it is swimable. There was quite a bit of sea grass on the said. But Miguel did inform us that not only would the beach be cleaned up by the time guest arrived, but the sea grass will be removed each morning when the resort opens. The beach is not horrible it is just not beautiful. I get the feeling that while the beach may be a bit lacking, the resort will make up for it with service.

Pools:

They were everywhere and will only enhance the beauty of the resort once they are cleaned and filled with water. The pool seemed to run the length of the resort and Miguel did mention that three of them would be heated.

Restaurants:

There will be the same amount of restaurants that are at ERC and they will have the same names. Some of the differences are is that a few of them will be larger. For example the French restaurant is larger and now like the Mexican at ERC you will be able to dine inside with air conditioning or outside on the terrace.

The restaurants were being worked on there were a lot of wires around. Therefore, we did not get to view each restaurant.

Theatre:

Will be larger, enclosed and airconditioned need I say more! Miguel did mention that they contract their entertainment and this area is handled by another manager. So he could not elaborate on the types of performances that are scheduled.

Rooms:

I could be wrong in my assessment, but the rooms seemed a tad bit larger that what I remember at their other two resorts. There is plenty of room in each suite from the lowest to the highest category. We saw the pool/spa view category, the swim out category, the roof top villa and the honey moon suites.

The pool/spa and swim out rooms are basically the same in diameter with location being the difference. Each room has its signature private door for room service. They have added an L shaped sofa for these suites as well. There is his and her sinks with a separate private toilet area.

My personal favorite was the roof top villa. This villa has a jacuzzi in the room. There is also a second level where there is a larger jacuzzi outside on the roof. There is also an outside shower. These rooms will go fast.

The honeymoon suite was huge. It includes a living room, and separate off to the side bed room.

Some of the other topics discussed were;

There will be a shuttle one or two days a week to take you shopping. The car rental company will be Thrifty.

They will have Funjet, GoGo and Travel Impression Representatives on site at the resort.

There is no doubt in my mind that this resort is going to be the talk of Cancun when it opens. Being a fan of their other resorts, It just felt like we were back home while touring the grounds.

I can not wait to book this hotel for next year and we will! If you are thinking about it dont hesitate. From what we have seen it is going to be beautiful when it is completed and it will only get better.

I cant wait to get there.

Again I apologize for any typo's but I was more concerned with emptying what was in my head and sharing my experience with you then dotting my i's and crossing my t's.

That is all that I can think of for now. I hope I was somewhat helpful

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Cancun All Suites Resort
The Royal Cancun All...
2,613 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Excellence Riviera Cancun
Excellence Riviera Cancun
13,862 Reviews
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Thanks for that.

Ruling out EPM for a moment if you were to win a free trip to either EPC or ERC where would you go?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
262 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Hi Flip Flop,

That really is a tough one. Both resorts are beautiful. The service from staff iis superb at both resorts. However, if I had to pick one I would go with ERC. I say that because currently there is not much to see and do in Punta Cana outside of the resort.

IIf you stay at ERC , you can head down to Cancun or Playa del Carmen.

The beach at EPC is beautiful to look at but the water is pretty rough for swimming.

The beach at ERC is calm but nothing to really look at.

Based on my past experiences, I would return to either in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Newton Abbot, Devon
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Thanks barryree, my wife and I are going to EPM on the 11th Nov for two weeks and have been slightly concerned that they hotel would not be ready. From what you have said it sounds that everything will be ready and we are in for a great holiday. We have booked a roof top terrace room and they look terrific in the pictures we have seen.You have put my mind at rest now, the soft opening is next Monday so hopefully there will be some more updates on TA in the next couple of weeks thanks for making the time to right your review ; the first one!!!! Only 30 days to go for us. Peter from England. Thanks once again.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
262 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Hi DevonLad,

You are in for the time of your lives. There are a lot of people at this site trying to make the opening happen. Miguel says they are committed to a 11/1/07 opening and no matter what it will happen.

The roof top villas are stunning you wont be disappointed in your room choice.

I wish we were going with you. However, by the time we arrive in August of next year there should be little to no kinks.

Please post a review when you return.

Have fun.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Thanks so much for this pre-opening review. Terrific.

The resort sounds as wonderful as I thought it was going to be.

Still not chosen between EPC or EPM for next March!!

Did you see the golf courses? I think there should be 2 by now.

I have been trying to get a price for a golf package for EPM guests for ages but without any luck. Maybe now the opening is closer, they will be able to say whether the hotel guests will get reduced green fees at the Playa Mujeres Courses.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Mujeres
Playa Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Wow! That's an amazing review and thank you sooooo much for sharing.

We are booked in a rooftop terrace at the end of January. Can't wait!!!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
262 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Hi Jude57

We did see one large golf cours. However, we don't play and did not inquire sorry.

Gbone, thanks for the kind words. I have received great info, tips and advice from this board regarding travel. I wanted to contribute as well.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Thanks so much Barryree!

Your review was great and I was particularly interested to hear they had thought hard abut some of the small things in resort which will add to the wow factor on arrival, if they have thought about such minor details I am sure their thought process has been carried all the way through - wonderful.

PS. Great to have the comparison between ERC & EPM at this stage, helps envisage what it will be like for those who have been to ERC.

Thanks again!

9. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 01:19