We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Maroma

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
216 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Maroma

Which resort should we choose. We want a good beach, great service and a RELAXED time. We have stayed at Excellence in Dominican Republic a couple of times in excellence club swim up suite and adored it. We are leaning toward Maroma. What are the differences? Also, where do I get the best rates? The resort website or my travel agent. Looking to either a last minute 4 or 5 night in February or April. Thoughts???

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Maroma

yipes

We too have been to EPC and loved it & we have also been to EDR so we can perhaps help you a little bit with your quandary.

We also had a great time at EDR and on our 360 holiday scoring matrix [sad I know] gave it a score of 311 and it became our #1. EPC has now replaced EDR at #1 with a score of 322.

In comparison I would say that:

A standard room as EPC is better than at standard room at EDR

A Casita at EDR is on a par with an Excellence Club Room at EPC

Beach at EPC is way better than the one at EDR. As you are aware EPC sits in it's own bay and there is nothing on either side for miles so if you like walking on the beach it is great.

EDR has more choice of restaurants than EPC and has a greater choice of places where you can have breakfast & lunch. Food is very much on a par albeit the food at EPC is not as well presented - some of the dishes at EDR were little works of art and it sometimes seem a shame to eat them.

At EPC as you will know at lunchtime you have the choice of The Grill [very good], pizza, beefburgers at the pool, beach or cafe/kafe or the Toscana [buffet] that has a very good of hot & cold foods or Room Service whereas at EDR you would normally have more choice - JoJos, Kampai, La Isla, Health Bar, Pizza/Beefburgers at the pool and the Mexican Bistro

As we stayed in a club room at EPC we also had the choice of food from the club for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Service at EPC is on a par with EDR

Entertainment at EPC is better than EDR

Would I go back to EDR = yes

Would I go back to EPC = definitely

As far as choosing between EDR and EDM they appear to be like chalk and cheese as EDR has 639 suites and EDM only has 24.

Hope this helps and I am happy to field any further questions

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Maroma

"As far as choosing between EDR and EDM they appear to be like chalk and cheese"

LOL this made me laugh. Nice analogy FF. :)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Maroma

Glad I made you laugh kaliman.

yipes - should also have said that the swim ups at EDR are much better then those at EPC

Chicago
Level Contributor
216 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Maroma

Thanks! Flip Flop man, you are a riot! One of the reasons I was thinking EDM is because we are going trip and the small boutique style might be just what we need...we have 4 year old twins who we NEED to get away from. Plus, we live in Chicago where it is 0 degrees today. At this point, staying in a tent on the beach sounds perfect.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Maroma

Enjoy

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Maroma

Hey there Chicago here too. We are going to EDR in May.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Maroma

Yipes - LOL, I totally agree with you. A tent on the beach sounds pretty good right now. We are in WY and have a temp of -10 with a wind chill around -30 degrees. That's a little too cold for me. I just want to see the sun and get some rays. Lying on the beach sounds like heaven at this point.

I also wanted to state that we have been to EDR three times and enjoyed everything about this resort during each visit. I'm sure you would enjoy both of these resorts, just depends on how many choices you want for restaurants and pools. El Dorado Maroma looks very small, but this could be a good thing if you don't want many people around and would like more personalized service.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding EDR. I'll be happy to help.

Chicago
Level Contributor
216 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Maroma

It is COLD here in Chicago. My husband is in Orlando on business and I actually had to use the snowblower for the first time. Sad, but it was kind of fun! I snowblowed my elderly neighbors driveway and he said "thank you" in Hawaiin...i am looking at it as a sign that I need a beach in my future....should I book before the husband gets back??? My birthday is February 5th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Maroma

Just wanted to let you know EDM has had a major upgrade and redone the older 24 rooms and added on about another 50 including swim up and infinity pool suites and another restaurant. I understand very small, but very quiet and romantic and footstep to an amazing beach. All rooms are oceanfront. There are a couple of reviews on TA about it.

If you are looking for an adults resort that is quiet and beautiful and gourmet, I understand this is a great place to go off the beaten path.

If you know an exotic member they can get you in really cheap right now if you listen to their timeshare talk.

SS

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Maroma

Hi

Link to EDM website just in case anyone has not seen it:

karismahotels.com/eldoradomaroma/index.html