We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ERC - help with making my choice please!

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
ERC - help with making my choice please!

Hi everyone -

I am currently booked for the Valentin Imperial Maya, but I am a bit leary because of some issues they are having some growth issues with water, electricity and construction.

For a bit more money ($500)I could book ERC. The reviews seem positive and the resort looks lovely.

Any thoughts that would help me make my decision? We were at The Grand this past December. It was my husband's first AI experience and I dare say he was spoiled by it!

Thanks!

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ERC - help with making my choice please!

We just got home last weekend from ERC. I would say it is probably the best $500 you have ever spent. We travelled with another couple for my husband's 30th birthday. There was a wide range in age of vacationers and something for everyone. We had no major issues at all. One meal at the lobster house we didn't really enjoy, a few tiny ants in our room ( I brought ant traps after reading the reviews and it worked great) our frinds had a bit of a musty smell in their room, but they never opened the balcony door to air it out.

Everything was fantastic. We have been to Sandals Grande Ocho Rios twice and this was even better.

My review is currently pending but feel free to e-mail with any questions.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,888 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ERC - help with making my choice please!

Well it is #1 and the Excellence Group won 10 awards in the recent travellers choice awards - see link below:

tripadvisor.co.uk/pdfs/tca/TravelersChoiceAw…

so they must be doing something right

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ERC - help with making my choice please!

Thank you both. ERC does look nicer than the Valentin, and I think the rewards garnered (thanks Flip Flop Man) have pretty much sealed the deal.

Medicine Hat...
Level Contributor
337 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ERC - help with making my choice please!

You can not go wrong at ERC we've been twice and will definately go again. Spend the 500 and have the vacation of your life.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ERC - help with making my choice please!

Spotsmom, Spend that $500.00 and GO to ERC it won't be money wasted. We are planning to go back for a 3rd trip as this is it.

This is where the cream of the crop is!!!

Oh you will love it and you will want to go back after you leave.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ERC - help with making my choice please!

You mentioned you were at the Grand and are considering ERC. I have been to both and loved both of them, although they are quite different. I could easily go back to either.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ERC - help with making my choice please!

Coberg,

How do the two differ? Any major areas?

I LOVED the Grand- service was great, the food creative, and the room lovely! The beach was nice, although rocky in parts, and the surf was rough.

What I really liked about the Grand was not having to worry about stuff - plenty of chairs at the pool and beach, no towel cards, etc.. How does ERC compare?

Thanks so much for your observations!

Chicago
Level Contributor
678 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ERC - help with making my choice please!

We were at ERC in October and never had trouble finding a spot by the many, many pools or at the beach. There are no towel cards and really nothing to worry about once you are there, except maybe deciding what to eat or drink next!

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ERC - help with making my choice please!

Whoo hoo! It sounds terrific! I hope my travel agent can get me a great deal so I can switch from the Valentin to ERC!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,888 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ERC - help with making my choice please!

The other Excellence at Playa Mujeres is also worth a look at:

excellence-resorts.com/all-inclusive-resorts…