We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just came back from H10 - my take on it

Orlando
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Just came back from H10 - my take on it

Overall we really enjoyed our stay at H10. We were on the Coral side between the quiet pool and the bar pool. We were there from a Tues to a Sun. It was not crowded at all until the weekend and then it just got a little more crowded. So here is our opinion on the place:

Pros:

beautiful resort setting

open air lobby was calming

well maintained grounds and pool areas

very, very quiet around our room

maid service was great (we did tip each day)

pool temp was perfect

all bars and bartenders were fantastic to us (we did tip every time we got a drink)

our room was very nice, got what we requested, even champagne and chocolate covered strawberries for our anniversary

we had a balcony with a jacuzzi which was wonderful to get into at night while looking up at the stars and moon

we did notice that there are some limited rooms that are direct ocean front with the jacuzzis but not sure how you land one of those

customer service was wonderful

entertainment was pretty good, the circus show was the best

great breeze coming off the beach which kept it from being unbearably hot

plenty of chairs at all 4 pools (no one was really even at the quiet pool the whole time)

cute kids area

easy to get drinks at anytime, never any waiting (we took and used bubba kegs which kept our drinks cold and held more than the cups at the bar)

restaurants easy to get into if you are there by 7:30ish, but even after that, wait not too bad

beach and water are beautiful (yes, there were a couple of women topless)

homemade guacamole and pico were the best I had ever had anywhere

enjoyed the snack bar

gift shop was very fairly priced and had beautiful jewelry for sale

coffee was wonderful and we really liked the coffee shop (Mexican version of Starbucks)

lots of choices for what and when to eat

a little bit of the food was fantastic

snorkeling off the beach (tour from hotel) was awesome

hidden worlds was awesome (zip lines, rappelling, sky cycles, snorkeling in the cenotes)

lots of birds making it feel very tropical

we were served a drink the minute we went to check in

Cons:

most of the food was just ok - was hoping for better

only 1 beach towel per person

not great access to the pool areas from walkways

the mexican flea market that is set up on mexican night is a rip off

hotel exchange rate stunk - exchange somewhere else or just stick to american dollars - everyone takes them there

lots of ocean front space unused (great big open areas) - could have been rooms

there is still construction going on

some of the details not complete

yes, the shower water leaked out, but not too bad if we adjusted the shower head to spray straight down, but this did not bother us - it is all tile anyway

limited premium liquor

no shade by the pools

they will try to get you to go to a presentation about H10 properties when you first arrive but all you have to do is say no - that is what we did and we were never asked again

I am sure there are other things, but that is all I can think of for now. We had a very romantic time there and we wish we were still there. It ended too soon. So overall we give this resort 2 thumbs up!

utah
Level Contributor
541 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just came back from H10 - my take on it

how wonderful that you gave your opinion. And it is a good one. Well done.

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just came back from H10 - my take on it

sixmcgaheys - Just curious what exchange rate they offered at the resort.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just came back from H10 - my take on it

Thats a great balanced review. Only thing im worried about at the resort now is the lack of shade around the pools. I just hope they get that sorted by mid september. As much as I like the beach, im more of a poll person.

Orlando
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just came back from H10 - my take on it

If you keep your eye out, there are a couple of places you can get shade around the pool at different times of the day. We only used the bar pool and the activity pool. There are some palm trees that provide shade over a couple of chairs in the morning at the pool bar on the beach side of the pool. Then there are chairs directly next to the snack bar that get shade from that. Got to get them early. Then there are chairs in the afternoon next to the pavillion where you pick up your beach towels at the activity pool that are shaded again by trees. And the pool bar provides shade over the pool seats to the bar. It is nice to sit in the pool at the bar.

I live in Orlando and go to the beach often. I have never had such extreme sun before. I was using 30 spf and got burned in some places. I never get burned with that high a spf. It is closer to the equator than central florida and I could tell the difference. Even my husband who never burns got a little sunburn. So you need to take a very high spf and reapply constantly. You can get burned in the shade. And if you go snorkeling in the ocean, wear a t-shrit under the life vest so your lower back isn't in the direct sun the whole time you are snorkeling. That if how I got my worst burn. The sunscreen washed off since we snorkled for 2 hours and I got it bad on my lower back. Just a warning!!

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Glasgow
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just came back from H10 - my take on it

We were in Mexico last year, so know exactly how hot it can be! Still looking forward to going, and ill probably end up on the beach the whole time, sod all this moving about to get some shade!

Ill be mailing the resort again to ask about umbrellas round the pool closer to the holiday, but I dont expect them to have any.

6. Re: Just came back from H10 - my take on it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 09:23