We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what ruins should I go to

vancouver
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
what ruins should I go to

I am staying at the ERC at the beginning of febuary and would like to see some ruins but don't want to spend 12 hours doing it. Where should I go?

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what ruins should I go to

Here is a reply I have made before but is still good:

Tulum is the nearest to you but the smallest of the three main ruin sites (Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza). Great beach but only a limited exposure to Mayan ruins due to its size and very little shade. Coba is the next nearest, and in our opinion, the best of the three. Coba is the oldest of the three sites and is almost pure Mayan with very little Toltec influence. It is more of a jungle setting with a fair amount of walking or you can rent a Pedi cab with a driver to peddle you around. You can still climb the main pyramid and this is a plus for us. Also, less crowded than Chichen Itza. Chichen Itza is one of the new 7 wonders of the world (very interesting how this was arrived at) but the farthest from where you are staying and the most commercialized. The ruins at Chichen Itza are combined Mayan and Toltec and excavated more than Coba. However, Chichen Itza can be very crowded and you have a lot of vendors/family’s selling stuff along many of the trails/paths between buildings. Again, our favorite of the three is Coba.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,376 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what ruins should I go to

Good information from Bob. Coba would also be my first choice.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what ruins should I go to

How long does it take to get to Coba from Puerto Morelos?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,376 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what ruins should I go to

Only a guess-but a little under 2 hours driving time, I believe.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what ruins should I go to

We went to Coba from PM in late December - we took a taxi to the ADO bus station, a bus to Playa del Carmen and then a bus to Coba (stopping at Tulum along the way). Without including transfer times between busses, it took us a little over 2 hours one way and, with the $4 admission price to the ruins and a bike rental (highly recommended), the trip cost us about $350 pesos ($35).

It's far more rustic and less "sanitary" than Tulum or Chitzen Itza, but the jungle setting was exactly what we were looking for and we loved it.

Wales
Level Contributor
199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what ruins should I go to

I went to Coba, Tulum & chitzen itza last year and I vote Coba as the best.

M

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what ruins should I go to

Coba! And my usual tip: take some toilet paper/kleenex with you in your pocket or purse.

vancouver
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what ruins should I go to

Thanks for the info everyone, I can't wait to go, First time to Mexico!

9. Re: what ruins should I go to

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 22:18