We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamiflu Request

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Tamiflu Request

I realize this is a bit unusual, but if there is anyone coming to Puerto Morelos in the next few days that could bring some Tamiflu with them, I would greatly appreciate it. There is none to be found here now and I have a friend who is experiencing flu systems as of this morning. We're not paranoid here, but the lack of Tamiflu (or the other drug), sanitary wipes and Lysol is a bit disturbing. Seems there was a mad rush on all these items this week, even though there have been no confirmed cases of N1H1 in the Mayan Riviera or the state of Quintana Roo.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamiflu Request

Hi Frank,

Don't forget...Tamiflu is not sold over the counter here as it is in Mexico. We need a prescription for it. Many travelers have been asking their doctors for a script in anticipation of their trip to Mexico. According to the posts I've been reading...they aren't getting it unless they already have flu symptoms.

See my post regarding Tamiflu and sending it to Mexico. It's a couple of pages back.

Kim

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamiflu Request

Thanks Kimlo. I tend to forget that drugs actually require prescriptions outside of Mexico

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamiflu Request

Relenza is also an approved anti-viral for the H1N1 flu and the technical drug names for Tamiflu and Relenza are oseltamivir and zanamivir. Perhaps if you ask for something different? I wish I could help Frank... I hope your friend recovers quickly.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tamiflu Request

Hey PM Frank.....Keep us advised on this. Your friend would be the 1st case of flu confirmed in Q. Roo.

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tamiflu Request

I spoke to her this afternoon and she has total body ache but her fever is not in the real high zone. She's drinking lots of fluids and eating chicken soup. There have been some cases of regular flu in the area, so we're hoping that's what it is. She's a very healthy person and in excellent physical condition.

Thanks to everyone for the concern.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tamiflu Request

Hi Frank,

Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she is ok soon. Although we (in the US) can't get you Tamiflu (don't even know if I will be coming down due to flights) will it help to send wipes, etc? If so, please let me know.

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tamiflu Request

I expect that the sani wipes will return to the shelves soo. There was a lot of panic buying going on last week. My friend's fever finally broke yesterday and she is dealing mainly with the congestion and body aches at this time. PM is basically empty at the moment. Restauranst and bars have been told to limit their capacity to 1/2 of normal and They are not allowed to have live entertaiment that might attract customers. Inside restaurants are only allowed to serve food to go.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tamiflu Request

It is sad to see the Canadian drug ads for Tamiflu on these forums. Taking Tamiflu without having a confirmed case is unwise.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tamiflu Request

Frank,

Was she able to get a hold of any Tamiflu?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tamiflu Request

Frank, I would be happy to send some packages of needed products however, I know it's long process -forms, regulations, etc. Is there some other way to help: donations, etc. to clinics, hospitals that would be immediately able and available the people?