We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What bothers you the most about TA reviews

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
What bothers you the most about TA reviews

I love Trip Advisor and used it religiously when planning a trip. But I find one thing really bothers me when people are posting bad reviews for good resorts (the resort is rated in the top 25% of resorts).

You've seen it, I'm sure. It goes something like this. "This is definitely not a 5 star hotel. If you like a hotel with bad food, bad service, and bad rooms... you'll love this place." Or even worse, "If you haven't ever been to a 5 star hotel this may be good enough for..."

I find this unbelieveably arrogant. It really makes me laugh when some people who have said this go on to say, "We are easy people to satisfy." These folks need some serious counseling.

It would be much less offensive for someone to say, "this just wasn't a resort that clicked with us" rather than putting down everyone else who like the place.

But this is just my opinion.

Halesowen, United...
Level Contributor
988 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What bothers you the most about TA reviews

just to join in guys I recently reviewed ERC and it probably was'nt as good as some people expected but what annoys me most is when people say its the best hotel in cancun/riviera maya when its the only one they have stayed in so can't compare

liverpool ny
Level Contributor
824 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What bothers you the most about TA reviews

Ahhh, Goodspkr: I think you opened up a can of worms here-lol! I read these reviews and scan the forums even when I am not planning a trip. It's fun to see what other people think and where they are going on vacation. What bothers me about some trip reviews are generalizations. Telling me that a certain resort is not 5 stars doesn't help me. Why didn't it meet your expectations? Please be specific! Why wasn't the service good--what happened to make you feel that way? Was an employee rude? Was service extremely slow or non-existent at times? What about the property was 'bad'? Location? Was it poorly maintained? Was it dirty? Were the pools not cleaned properly? Beach dirty or rocky? Why didn't you like the room? Poor layout? Not cleaned properly? Uncomfortable beds? The statement that the food was 'gross' doesn't help me. Was it poorly prepared? Not presented as one edxpected? Or was it that you are simply not into the type of food that was served there? And what about: There was nothing to do there? Ok, was there absolutely no entertainment at all? No music? No activities during the day? No shows at night or if there were, were they really poor quality? My point is that I want to know the truth about a property that I may visit in the future. Please be honest and don't sugar coat your review. But also, make sure you have backup for why this particular property fell below your expectations so I don't have to wonder why a resort is '2 star at best'. Thanks for a good topic for this forum!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What bothers you the most about TA reviews

Kalli,

You asked, "Besides unreasonable reviews I must say I really do hate these kinds of threads. How do you know that their stay at the so called "good resort" wasn't a bad one"

Actually I don't have a problem with that. It's one of the things I appreciate about TA. In fact, it's one of the three reasons a person will give a bad report to a normally good resort.

My problem is with someone who had a bad experience and then tells everyone who had a good one they are basically "hicks" if they like the resort. I trust you didn't do that in your review.

14. Re: What bothers you the most about TA reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 06:17