We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Vacation to Mexico!!

Cleveland, Ohio
4 posts
Save Topic
First Vacation to Mexico!!

Hi all!! My wife and I had just booked my first, her 2-3, to mexico. We are staying at SSS and we can't wait to go, checking these boards all day at work certainly doesn't help, 73 days and counting. We are planning on going to Chichen Itza while we are there and are looking for any recommendations on whether or not to book a tour or do it on our own. It seems like the trade off is the tour would take longer round trip and have a set schedule vs the diy tour might end up costing more. Thanks for any advice.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Vacation to Mexico!!

Unless your wife has significant knowledge of the area, you may want to opt for the guided tour. ARe you planning on hiring a car, or are you using a shuttle to get you to/from your hotel?

Also, just a small side note, after visiting the ruins you will be unable to donate blood for one year after your visit. I don't know if this applies to you, but I work at the NIH and they refused me based on this travel experience. The area is listed in their data base as restricted due to possible maleria encounter.

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Vacation to Mexico!!

It may cost a little more but I doubt it, Hire cars are very cheap at the moment. It is a straight highway ride to the ruins all really well sign posted and you will have a much better time, hire your own personal guide when you get there adn get there early, it opens at 8am, The crowds start arriving at 10am

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Vacation to Mexico!!

I'm of the DIY school. Another plus is you can stop along the way at any of the neat villages, attractions, restaurants or crafts stores where you can pick up some really unique items.

Driving in Mex. is no problem.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Vacation to Mexico!!

Friends of ours drove from Mexico City to the Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda in PDC in almost one shot (takes around 20 hours!!), their first time in the country. They found the drive fine, so I'm sure you'd be fine hiring a car to go to the ruins.

I don't like guided tours as they don't give you freedom and flexibility, and my partner and I always seem to be first on and last off the coach picking up dozens of other people1 >-(

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
130 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Vacation to Mexico!!

Last year we hired a private guide. He picked us up at the resort at 7am. We did the ruins, swam in a cenote, and had a wonderful lunch at a local place in Valladolid. We got back to the resort about 7pm. It was a great day. He was up for anything we wanted to do, and very knowledgeable about the area. His name is Alberto Morales and you can contact him at:

peninsulatours1@yahoo.com.mx

I can't remember the exact price, but it was less than we would have paid on one of those huge tour buses. Everything was include in the price except drinks at lunch.

Hope you enjoy!

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First Vacation to Mexico!!

Hello fellow Clevelander we go every year,we always book our tours through Apple vacations we have done,Xel-Ha twice,Mayan advernture,Ruins,X claret.WE also are going to the SSS in Oct.Yes I would say the reviews are up and down I sure hope its great,WE have never done a adult only this is our first the others have been family resorts and have been great!Have a great time and let us know how it was!!

California
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First Vacation to Mexico!!

My wife and I just returned from a Yucatan vacation. Another post mentioned guide Alberto Morales. He was our guide to Chichen Itza and to the Sian Kaan reserve. If you can arranged a tour with him you won't be disappointed. He really made our trip worthwhile with his knowledge of the areas and his personality. He goes out of his way to make the trips enjoyable. He was working with Eco Colores tours for our trips. But he is a freelance guide as well and can custom tailor other trips around the Yucatan as well. He will not only be your guide but your friend. Well worth his fees. He can be reached at:

peninsulatours1@yahoo.com.mx

Mexico
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Vacation to Mexico!!

Also you can hire a taxi for the day. we know all the area and will take you all the places you wana go and if you like like not so crowded places not so tourist, well we know our land.

the prices from the SSS to Chichen Itza including a visit to Valladolid and The Cenote Ikil http://www.cenoteikil.com/

is for up to 4 people $220 usd if you are up to 8 people we ahve a Chevrolet Express VAN for $400 usd

with no hurries, you managge your own time.

here is my mail if you need more info

alejandro.cazares@gmail.com

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Vacation to Mexico!!

I'm a DYI guy too, but since this is your first time in Mexico, I would suggest using a tour. It's a long way to Chichen Itza and I just think you will be alot more relaxed.

10. Re: First Vacation to Mexico!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2010, 05:17