We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh dear! Latest review Sensatori....

dorset
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Oh dear! Latest review Sensatori....

Just read the latest review, its bloody awful, and with exactly 4 weeks to go until i will be there myself, has just dampened my excitement!

I do understand that everyone has different opinions, but find it hard to get my head round how extreme some of the bad reviews are? I still maintain the best reviews come from us Brits, which makes me wonder are we really that much easier to please or except much lower standards of service, food etc etc than the rest?

Chilpayas
££ - £££, Mexican, Caribbean, Latin
DK Puerto Morelos
££ - £££, Mexican, Caribbean, Seafood
Richard's Bistro
££ - £££, Austrian
Wishaw,Scotland
Level Contributor
52 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh dear! Latest review Sensatori....

loladorset, a work colleague of mine was there a month ago with his wife and said it was excellent, one of the best holidays he ever had. Keep the chin up, don't get down before you even get there. Just relax and enjoy.

dorset
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh dear! Latest review Sensatori....

gavin......thanks and im sure i will have a great time, i am just one of those people, read a good review, makes me feel good about my holiday, read a bad review and its like oh my god!!!

Just finding the Sensatori reviews consistently inconsistent! Wish i could stop reading,lol

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
859 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh dear! Latest review Sensatori....

No offense intended to Americans, however many of the most highly critical reviews on the travel sites like Tripadvisor.com are written by Americans and maybe it's justified, but I take all the American reviews with a grain of salt. In America the level of customer service is very high due in part to high levels of competition. Most places will always greet you with a hearty…

“Well Hi! How y’all doing today?”

In Mexico you would be greeted very plainly by comparison and this could be misinterpreted by the American clientele as inferior customer service. They will likely not acknowledge that their waiter probably doesn’t speak English as well as they do. And actually the language barrier can be a bone of contention with many as well. Many Americans complain about the fact that when they are in a foreign country, the locals don’t all speak English. I of course take the position that I am in their country and I should be the one trying to speak their language (I’m taking a Spanish course for future trips to Mexico). In addition they should acknowledge that someone who earns the equivalent of 50 dollars per month isn’t going to seek out the extracurricular education to learn English if they don’t have to.

The competition in the hospitality industry in America has also forced restaurants to compete on quantity rather than quality. Each restaurant claims to sell the largest steak or the most over-the-top “extreme” potatoes with everything and the kitchen sink thrown in for appeal all for a low, low price.

While in Dominican Republic this year we went to what was considered the best restaurant on the resort we were staying at one night. At the table next to us, an American woman was perplexed because she couldn’t get the lobster AND the steak which were considered two separate dishes on the menu. I had the lobster, I did find that it wasn’t as large as I was used to in Canada, but with my appetizer and dessert I was satisfied by the quantity of food for dinner. I think in the United States, so many are used to menu specials like the Steak and Lobster special or the Chicken and Rip special, etc. In addition, the pricing structure is such that many people will order more food than is actually necessary.

Visit a few web sites associated with popular chain restaurants in the United States and you will likely see what I mean. Restaurants like:

http://www.chilis.com

http://www.tgifridays.com

http://www.applebees.com

http://www.bobevans.com

I’m not anti American but I think that people from the states expect the rest of the world to be exactly like them. Hey it’s partially true, 4 out of 5 of the restaurants above are in Canada where I am from and I certainly saw my fair share of McDonald's and Burger King Restaurants in Cancun. The Punta Cana airport in the Dominican Republic was a Wendy’s.

Sorry for ranting. Just thought this might explain the bad reviews.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
United States
United States
North America
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Punta Cana Airport
Punta Cana Airport
Dominican Republic
dorset
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh dear! Latest review Sensatori....

barrie......no worries, not ranting, just your opinions and interesting comments. I certainly do not want anyone to take offence at my post.

I have the attitude that you cant just believe the goods things and ignore all the bad things people are saying, in my eyes that makes me a realist, in others maybe it makes me a pessimst lol.

Sure i will have a great time, after all i'm on holiday! Nothing to do other than relax for 2 weeks. As long as i have sunshine i'll be ok.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oh dear! Latest review Sensatori....

I do have to agree with Barrie on many of his points, we Americans expect great customer service, especially when we pay as much money as we do for these five star resorts. I have actually decided that from now on I am going to avoid all inclusive resorts. Although I truly do enjoy being pampered and waited on hand and foot at the 5 star all inclusives, I just don't need it. If I'm going to shell out my hard earned money for a Mexican vacation I am going to rent a nice condo and eat at the local restaurants and taco stands. I know what I'm going to get there, I love it, and I love the people that run those little places.

As far as the latest Sensatori review goes... do take note that the reviewer in question prefaced his review by saying that he runs two hotels and has never been to an all inclusive. That right there would make me skip over his review entirely. His expectations are likely going to be so high that I don't think ANY place would make him happy. I have a friend who runs a very nice restaurant in Minneapolis and she actually hates dining out at other fancy restaurants. She says she's constantly critiquing the way the restaurant is run, the level of customer service, etc, and she just doesn't relax and enjoy her dining experience.

Lola, stop reading those reviews! Lol, pot meet kettle, I'm the same way. You'll have a wonderful time, you have the right attitude and that's really what matters.

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Oh dear! Latest review Sensatori....

I just have to say that WE ALL pay a lot of money for our 5* vacations. However, it is what are our expectations are when traveling out of our country that we have to look at.

A 5* resort in Hawaii (or anywhere else in the US) is not going to be the same as a 5* in Mexico or the Dominican Republic.

The star ratings are just not the same.

LolaDorset - you will have a great time on your vacation and read between the lines when reading travel reviews. What are these folks REALLY complaining about?

Another thing to consider is, if the weather isn't as good as these folks expect, that will put a damper on their whole experience. Or if they had any issues while traveling to get to their destination (flight delays, lousy flight times, grumpy customs agents, screaming kids, etc., etc) that will also affect their vacation experience.

You Brits have a much longer way to travel from and usually stay for more than a week. I've yet to vacation with a Brit that wasn't having a good time on their vacation, and we've travelled to many different Caribbean destinations and met many people from many different countries. We all do have different expectations when we travel and you guys are the most easy going, as long as the bar is well stocked.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
67 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oh dear! Latest review Sensatori....

...also Brits typically have more vacation days per year than Americans (4 weeks to 2 weeks respectively). So, many Americans want their week long holiday to be perfection as its back to work for another 50 weeks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oh dear! Latest review Sensatori....

Offense taken, Barry.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Oh dear! Latest review Sensatori....

Sorry, Barrie, but what you're describing is the typical "ugly American". Not all of us expect everyone to speak English wherever we go and only eat massive portions at Chili's on a daily basis.

I would rather punch myself in the face than eat at an Applebee's.

But go on pushing the stereotype as a way to make a point and slam other people.

I, for one, am tired of seeing the board littered with threads daily complaining about reviews of the Sensatori. We're all literate. We can read and draw our own conclusions from the reviews. You don't need to post daily complaining about reviews on a hotel you booked -- you're better off just starting one thread titled "Make me feel better about my vacation".

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oh dear! Latest review Sensatori....

Keels, I started to write something similar to your post but honestly... I don't think you and I are in the majority. Most Americans do eat at places like Applebees. Most Americans do expect a lot in return for their dollars. But, then again, most Americans don't even have a passport.

And to the poster a few above... I know we ALL pay a lot for 5 star resorts, I was just saying that Americans expect a more in return. I for one have never stayed at a 5 star resort in Hawaii (I can't afford it!).