We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Azul Sensatori vs Dreams Telum Vs. Grand Velas at Christmas

San antonio
Level Contributor
155 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Azul Sensatori vs Dreams Telum Vs. Grand Velas at Christmas

Help!!! Azul Sensatori has been picked by travel professional as the best place for our family of 4 which includes 21 and 17 year old. But boy the reviews are awful. Dreams has also been suggested. Grand Velas looks great online. So can someone help me sort out fact from fiction so we can make a decision. Ceiba del Mr has been thrown around too. Help! We like the room to be nice, the food good and a decent beach. We do not need cruise line entertainment. Help!

Wauseon, Ohio
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Azul Sensatori vs Dreams Telum Vs. Grand Velas at Christmas

We have been to the Dreams Tulum very nice resort but The kids my not have a lot to do not sure about other resorts

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
209 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Azul Sensatori vs Dreams Telum Vs. Grand Velas at Christmas

Hi!

I was at Sensatori in February; lot of smaller kids but not a lot of teens during my visit and I was very disappointed with this hotel, considering the price paid! Would not go back.

Have been to Cieba Del Mar and don't think the kids would like it... it is more a Spa type resort.

I am going to Grand Velas in September as it looks wonderful. Reservations there have been great in dealing with all my pre trip questions and requests.

I hope you find the ideal resort for your family!

San antonio
Level Contributor
155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Azul Sensatori vs Dreams Telum Vs. Grand Velas at Christmas

Thanks for the info!!! Can't wait to hear about your trip to the Grand

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
341 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Azul Sensatori vs Dreams Telum Vs. Grand Velas at Christmas

No contest - I would not pick Azul with teens (I won't go back there ever - I was very disappointed and the reviews are not going to get better any time soon).

Tulum would be a much better choice. I've heard good thing about Dreams and Tulum town and beach has a lot of young backpackers, etc. so if they go off the resort (easy to do) they will have a great time.

You could consider renting a car as the beaches in and near Tulum and the archeological sites are all incredible. Beach at Azul is lousy.

FWIW - I visited the Azul Beach and liked it a lot (the vibe, beach, service, etc.) - but it's a small resort and probably a bore for teens.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Azul Sensatori vs Dreams Telum Vs. Grand Velas at Christmas

Grand Velas is truly a luxury resort. I would not put Dreams or Azul in the same class.

Everything at GV is top of the line. Rooms, amenities, food and beverage quality and quality of crystal, china, etc. Pool and beach furniture is top of the line, as well as furnishings in public areas and room. It is elegant.

Sensatori IMO does not compare and the reviews for the resort are not surprising based on my observations from our visit there. And beach is not nice at all.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Azul Sensatori vs Dreams Telum Vs. Grand Velas at Christmas

I just returned from Grand Velas and loved it, however it was for a romantic anniversary and I got an incredible deal. The service was amazing. My two teens would have died of boredom.

Now if your 20 year old is responsible, they can always hit the town for nightlife and Grand Velas will send you in a taxi and you only have to pay the fair back. (15.00 to 20.00) I have a 17 year old daughter (she's the one I would worry about) LOL!! and a 15 year old son. Grand Velas would be a too stuffy resort for them...they prefer a Riu atmosphere with lots of activities and action. Me, I want sevice and quality...but in my younger days, I visited every Club Med around! How the times have changed.

Tuktoyaktuk, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Azul Sensatori vs Dreams Telum Vs. Grand Velas at Christmas

Hi Texmama, at the Azul the have a teens club. If the 21 year old is resposible Cancun is 20 mins. away.

Level Contributor
131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Azul Sensatori vs Dreams Telum Vs. Grand Velas at Christmas

I would check into the new Dreams Riviera Cancun that is opening october 1st. If you go to the Dreams website, you can see some photos of the resort plus they also have the brochure posted. From what I can ascertain, this Dreams looks quite high end, and they are offering very good deals right now.

NYC
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Azul Sensatori vs Dreams Telum Vs. Grand Velas at Christmas

I realize you have likely already booked as Christmas is less than a month away (yikes) but I'm a big fan of Ceiba del Mar and brought my 15 year old niece here a few months ago. During that trip, we also stayed in Playa del Carmen and in Tulum, and she liked Ceiba the most of all three places!

At Ceiba, your "kids" would easily be able to walk on the beach or ride bikes into Puerto Morales on their own, and of course there are day trip activities for them if pool and beach lounging isn't enough to keep them busy.

The menu includes choices like great pizzas and burgers alongside really good food - they have a relatively new chef here - so picky teens would find something great to enjoy - and the bartenders were happy to make "Virgin" pina coladas and such all day long for my niece.

Merry Christmas wherever you go!

10. Re: Azul Sensatori vs Dreams Telum Vs. Grand Velas at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2010, 06:17