We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ERC or Secrets Maroma ??? Anyone been to both by any chance?

Manchester
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
ERC or Secrets Maroma ??? Anyone been to both by any chance?

We are hoping to get away to Mexico in April 2010 and although we have been to ERC and EPM and thought them to be fantastic, we haven't been to or know anyone that's been to Secrets Maroma and that also has excellent reviews. Trying to decide whether to try somewhere new or go with what we know ! Any comments appreciated.......

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ERC or Secrets Maroma ??? Anyone been to both by any chance?

We have been to SMB 3 times, EPM 2times, Secrets Capri 1 times. In May 2010 we are going back to EPM for 6 days and Secrets Capri for 5 days.

We will not be returning to SMB -- liked EPM and Capri much better.

Any specific questions? Happy to answer.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ERC or Secrets Maroma ??? Anyone been to both by any chance?

Can you tell us some of what you liked better at Capri and EPM? Like the original poster, we're considering a few resorts for this winter and would love to hear a bit more about them in direct comparison.

For us, top priorities are a relaxed (and relatively quiet) atmosphere, good food, good service and a nice place to warm our snow-chilled bodies in the sun.

We're considering Iberostar, Secrets, and Excellence properties right now--haven't really narrowed down which locations yet. We stayed at the IB Paraiso Maya last year and enjoyed it, but were thinking of doing something adults only this year for a more relaxed atmosphere.

Gardner,Illinios
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ERC or Secrets Maroma ??? Anyone been to both by any chance?

just got back from ERC,I can't say not bad thing about the place.In fact, everything is very good there.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ERC or Secrets Maroma ??? Anyone been to both by any chance?

We just got back from Iberostar Grand and it was fabulous!

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ERC or Secrets Maroma ??? Anyone been to both by any chance?

Yes, just saw your post in another thread about that. I gather you've stayed at EPM in the past, but preferred the Grand? That's good to know. Anything in particular you liked better?

Waiting for our travel agent to get back to us with a few more prices--if there are any big price differences, that could be what settles it for us, as all the options we're looking at have such great reviews in general. If they come back within a few dollars of each other, though, I don't know how we'll pick. :-)

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ERC or Secrets Maroma ??? Anyone been to both by any chance?

lligett,

Sorry for not being more clear. We have never stayed at EPM or SMB. Those were the other 2 resorts we were considering for this past trip. They all looked wonderful. It was a tough decision. Sorry, I can't offer any comparisons. We have stayed in the casitas at EDR the past 3 years and also like it there very much.

Good luck!

KIm

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ERC or Secrets Maroma ??? Anyone been to both by any chance?

No need to apologize, I didn't read very carefully. Too many different abbreviations, I got confused. :-) But it's good to know you enjoyed your time at the Grand.

Hoping to hear more from the travel agent tomorrow, but they're moving offices this weekend, so we'll see--she wasn't sure her computer would be up and running!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ERC or Secrets Maroma ??? Anyone been to both by any chance?

We will be at Secrets this Friday for 3 nights, then on Monday will transfer up to ERC for 5 nights. Looking forward to both resorts and will be happy to answer any questions/comparisions if needed.

Greensburg, PA
Level Contributor
354 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ERC or Secrets Maroma ??? Anyone been to both by any chance?

We've been to both, Secrets Maroma in May and ERC a few years ago. Unless a lot has change at ERC since then, I'd have to say it's better than Secrets Maroma. Secrets Maroma has an excellent beach, but ERC has a nice beach, although the water has some rocks. Both had excellent service and good food. I think we liked ERC better because of the resort grounds and rooms. The two pools at Secrets Maroma are relatively small, so get crowded very quickly. There also wasn't a lot of shade available around the pools. And the grounds were very plain, and modern, with lots of concrete, and very few fountains or other decorations outdoors. ERC has a huge meandering pool, lots of shade, and beautiful grounds with sculptures and lots of fountains. We just liked being there better.

Chicago
Level Contributor
642 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ERC or Secrets Maroma ??? Anyone been to both by any chance?

We have stayed at both ERC (twice) and SMB and Excellence was hands down better. The food and service was better.