We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Dorado Royale vs Secrets Maroma

WA
3 posts
Save Topic
El Dorado Royale vs Secrets Maroma

My fiance and I are in the process of planning our honeymoon. We have narrowed down our options to El Dorado Royale and Secrets Maroma. A casita at El Dorado Royale is an option, but we aren't sure it is worth the $$$. Is snorkeling off the beach any better at one resort than the other? Is the marina near Maroma close enough and nice enough to provide some additional entertainment options? Thanks in advance for any input you can share!

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Dorado Royale vs Secrets Maroma

I was toying with the Casistas Suites until I read that they still have sand bags on parts of the beach. We went to SMB last July and it was fabulous. You can't go wrong there. If it's summer, splurge for a swim up suite. They are soooo nice!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Dorado Royale vs Secrets Maroma

EDR has unique snorkeling becasue of the huge sand tubes that are out in the ocean. This is a terrible eye soar, but is home to many schools of fish. There is also some coarl there. No Corona commerical becasue of the sant tubes. I have not been to SMB, but know the beach there would not be much snorkeling because it is one of the best sand beaches in the world.

Is a Casita worth it? We stayed in a regular junior suite and a swim out casita. It is worth it only if you have to be in a pool all the time. It is worth it if you have to have a dinner reservation at a certain time. Other than that I think it is not all that much different. Both sides have problems with beach chairs and chairs around the pools.

WA
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Dorado Royale vs Secrets Maroma

Thanks for the input! We will be booking this week, but are still undecided. Secrets Maroma is winning at this point.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Dorado Royale vs Secrets Maroma

Here is a list of the differences between Casita's and Villas at EDR:

A quick overview of what's available resort-wide: All restaurants and bars are accessible by all guests regardless of suite level. Use of the amenities and spa services are also available to all guests. All suites have in-suite jacuzzi tubs, tv's, mini-bars, free safes, along with ironing boards and hairdryers and 24/7 room service. All bars and restaurants serve top shelf liquor brands regardless of location.

Villa guests have access to all pools and bars, but are not permitted to use the padded chaise loungers around the Casita pools or the Casita section palapa beach beds. Beach butler service is also offered through out the resort. Dinner is first come, first served at all of the restaurants.

The differences: Casita suites are larger rooms with a larger deck or terrace and have outdoor beds you can relax on during the day or night. Each room has an outdoor shower (very romantic) along with the regular shower .

Each Casita section has it's own swimup bar and bartender, as well as padded chaise lounges around the pool and of course the palapa beds right on the beach. You also get preferred check-in at the Casita concierge as opposed to waiting to be checked in the Lobby.

Dinner reservations are available, as well as an an extended room service menu along with the regular room service menu. You can also pre-order your breakfast room service the night before for whatever time of the morning you prefer.

They have nightly turn-down service with your choice of scented aromatherapy, and a pillow menu(you can choose hypo-allergenic, feather, firm, soft etc). Complimentary bathrobes are also supplied

Casita's have DVD players and a DVD library you can choose movies from should you have taken too much sun during the day or would like to enjoy an "evening in".

Each day, the "Casita kids" come around in the morning with fresh fruit cups from the Health Bar along with water bottles, sunscreen and magazines. At lunch they bring individual coolers with sandwiches from the Panini Grill in section 31 or the Health Bar along with cookies, juice and fruit. In the afternoon they deliver delicious chocolate or vanilla ice cream cups for snack.

As you can see there are decided differences between the 2 areas of the resort and why it can cost almost double what you would normally pay for a gardenview jacuzzi suite.

Hope this helps!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Dorado Royale vs Secrets Maroma

I would choose SMB as the beach is 1000 times better there than at EDR.

We had a Casita Suite at EDR and it was nice but overall I prefer Secrets (food, ambiance) to EDR. Also, Secrets does not sell Time shares and EDR does have the Exotic Club whose members get preferential treatment.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Dorado Royale vs Secrets Maroma

Another difference is no reservations for dinner at Secrets but they are required for some of the restaurants at EDR - while Casita guest get preference Exotic Club get more. Just an FYI.

WA
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: El Dorado Royale vs Secrets Maroma

Thank you for all of your responses. We have decided to book a Preferred Oceanview with Secrets Maroma.

lincoln
Level Contributor
264 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Dorado Royale vs Secrets Maroma

El dorado royale is a great resort but the beach is lacking. I have not been to SMB but went to SSS last December and loved it. SMB looks fabulous! We did not do the preferred club and when we got there it was a ridiculous price to upgrade so way to go booking that to begin with! The beach at SMB looks and sounds amazing too

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
448 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Dorado Royale vs Secrets Maroma

beachfisher -- you will love your Oceanview Preferred room...

10. Re: El Dorado Royale vs Secrets Maroma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 05:17