We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying @ El Cid - Average extra expenses while at resort?

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Staying @ El Cid - Average extra expenses while at resort?

We're planning a 6 day trip to El Cid in June and trying to determine how much extra we should plan to spend while at the resort. We're going AI so I know food and drinks are included but how much on average should we figure for tipping? Also, I know some entertainment and Spa type options (which we wouldn't use)aren't included but what other expenses can I expect? Is there a lot of shopping on site? Arcade type places where the kids will want to spend money? Photogs taking pix like on a cruise ship or theme park that you end up purchasing? I don't mean to sound cheap (just on a tight budget) or naive but never been to an AI resort, or MX for that matter, so want to be prepared. Thanks much!

Harlan, Ky.
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying @ El Cid - Average extra expenses while at resort?

We are headed to El Cid tomorrow, so can't speak specifically about this resort yet. But i have been to AI's before, and like you, we're budget travelers also. If you don't use the spa or order some of the extra $$ foods like lobster, some resorts do charge for higher end wines and some foods, then you don't need a lot of spending money. We always take what we call airport money, you know, to buy newpapers, books, snacks/lunch or whatever. We take about $150 in $1's for tips. I understand the kids club charges for some of the activities like pottery making, we'll do that for our daughter, but that's about it for paying extras. I've heard that they have people come into the resort that does the braids and also a couple of times a week some vendors come in, but also heard that you can get same things cheaper if you go in to town. The resorts I've been to before, the pool tables or any arcade games don't charge. So really, the AI's are great because you really choose how much or little that you want to spend. We believe strongly in tipping, so that's our only "have to" have money. Hope this helps a little, I'll be back on April 1st, so feel free to ask anything then.

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying @ El Cid - Average extra expenses while at resort?

Thank you for your insight Harshar. That helps me understand better what to expect. I hope you have a fabulous trip and looking forward to your TR when you return!

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying @ El Cid - Average extra expenses while at resort?

Meant to say - thanks Walshar - I only looked at your name 3 times but do you think I could remember 10 seconds later? : ) Wish TA would display the text you're replying to...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying @ El Cid - Average extra expenses while at resort?

great questions and responses. And if you could provide more specific answers after your return from your trips, then we'll be much more prepared when we go in October.

Most interested in the Kid's club: specific activities and charges for my 12 year old daughters....

Enjoy your trip(s) and looking forward to glowing (!) trip reports and lots of answers !

North Carolina
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying @ El Cid - Average extra expenses while at resort?

Gailieb -- we were there a couple of weeks ago. Kids club was free. My daughters, 6 and 9, enjoyed the crafts and some of the games. My almost 11-year old son would have been bored to tears. While it's fun, safe and well-run, in my view, it was definitely geared toward younger (less than 10 yrs. old) kids. That said, outside of the kids club, there was still plenty for our 11-year old to enjoy (water activities, ping pong, etc.)

west virginia
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying @ El Cid - Average extra expenses while at resort?

Gailieb : I'm going in Oct as well, I'll be there until Oct 9th

walshar: have a great trip!

Bud

7. Re: Staying @ El Cid - Average extra expenses while at resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 07:17