We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SSS Rocky Beach - I have video & pictures, anyon interested?

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
158 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
SSS Rocky Beach - I have video & pictures, anyon interested?

I just got back from my honeymoon at Secrets Silversands and I specifically took lots of pictures and even some video of what you can expect of the beach at SSS. If people are interested I can upload them to tripadvisor and youtube.

I also woke up early one morning and walked the entire grounds, videotaping as I walked. Unfortunately it is in HD, so it will be too big to upload. But if there is a lot of interest, I will see what I can do to upload it.

Gary

Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: SSS Rocky Beach - I have video & pictures, anyon interested?

I would be interested in the photos of the beach. It may decided which resort I book. Thanks.

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SSS Rocky Beach - I have video & pictures, anyon interested?

I would love to see beach pics...I know the beach stinks but is it pretty to look at? Is the water a pretty color?

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
158 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SSS Rocky Beach - I have video & pictures, anyon interested?

Ok, I will work on getting them online tonight. The beach is definitely pretty to look at. I would say it is small. Maybe 50-60 feet from the wall of the SSS property to where the waves crash.

There is a lot of sea weed in the area, which does accumulate on shore. But its not too bad. I actually kind of like it, because we found shells and coral that washed onshore with it.

The water is definitely pretty to look at. It may be a bit green close to shore (maybe 10-20 feet), but it turns into aqua, which turns into blue as you get out on the horizon. The water is actually pretty clear about 100 yards out. The further you get away from the shore, the less sand that is being kicked up in shallow water. So you will see the ocean have various colors, depending on what is underwater. Some parts might be less blue, where there are patches of underwater seaweed, or crystal blue where there is mostly sand.

Regardless, it is very beautiful and relaxing. I even fell asleep several times after just laying on a lounge chair in the shade...

Wilkes-barre...
Level Contributor
253 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SSS Rocky Beach - I have video & pictures, anyon interested?

It sounds incredible Vegas and congratulations on your marriage! Did you by chance take the time to do any snorkeling while you were down there? I'm also curious if you were able to visit Puerto Morelos or Cancun and if so what type of transportation you may have used and the approx. cost /fare if you remember?

Edited: 04 August 2010, 14:22
Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SSS Rocky Beach - I have video & pictures, anyon interested?

Just my two cents:

The beach itself was fine when we were there. Not a ton of width to it but more than sufficient. The sand was nice, soft, and clean; not talcum powder white but nice enough. No rocks to speak of on the beach in front of the resort.

To me, it was once you get in the water that was the problem. While we did find some spots with few rocks and nice soft bottom to take a dip, most of the area was rocky and the water is nowhere near the beautiful blue of many other beaches in the area. It was also free of seaweed\grass when we were there but right next door at Sensatori the shoreline was black with the stuff. I would imagine there are plenty of occasions where its like this at SSS as well.

Overall we loved SSS (as evidenced by our review) but the beach is certainly it's weakest feature.

Edited: 04 August 2010, 14:37
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
158 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SSS Rocky Beach - I have video & pictures, anyon interested?

Paultotravel,

We did do a snorkeling tour with Aqua World, one of the tours available at the SSS. Their kisok is pool side. Ask for Flor...she was very helpful! The snorkel tour was in Cozumel. I honestly wasn't that impressed with it, but my wife was. We snorkeled in 2 spots for about 40 min each. The spots were about 15-20 feet and 30+ feet respectively. Since visability is like 50 feet, you could see the bottom no problem. But what I didn't like is that we were very close to the shore and even in sight of a large parked cruise ship. There wasn't a large variety of fish and no coral.

I did take advantage of the free mask and snorkel rental at SSS. I took some packages of crackers at lunch and waded out about 250-300 yards from the shore off of the SSS resort beach. When you open the package, make sure there are fish somewhat close to you...open the entire package and just stay close and drift with the crackers...the fish will come.

As for transportation, it was included with the snorkel tour we took. However, one other day we decided to go shopping in Playa De Carmen. That ride was about 30 min each way. The resort even recommends that you have the taxi that takes you from the resort, wait for you. It is much SAFER that way, since you don't want to grab a random taxi and end up in the jungle.

The taxi ride to Playa was $35 each way. The bell hop was nice enough to tell me that I could exchange $70 USD at the front desk and get a little over 800 pesos. Otherwise, the taxis would change $40/way ($80 total).

What was nice is that the taxi waited for us no problem, while we shopped 2.5 hours. And then we just paid when we got back to the resort.

The resort does offer shopping tours for $15/person. That includes round trip on a big bus. But we didn't want to do that because you are limited on time and I hear they want you to shop in their recommended stores because the guides get commission. Also, the tours got back rather late, like 8:30. I hear there were some morning tours, but only several times a week.

Hope that helps.

7. Re: SSS Rocky Beach - I have video & pictures, anyon interested?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2011, 07:19