We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with whale sharks-worth the money??

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cottingham, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming with whale sharks-worth the money??

Hi, when we are in Mexico I would like to do the swimming with whale sharks trip. Has anyone done this and is it good/worth the money?

Any other info would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with whale sharks-worth the money??

We did it with Ecab tours in June and my wife says that it is the most amazing thing she has ever done in her life. Sure she is selling me a bit short but I can handle it ;)

To us it was well worth the money. Because we were right at the very start of the season we only saw 3 different whale sharks but we both had amazing experiences in at least 1 of our 3 swims with them.

It's hard to guarantee that you are going to have the same experience as us with something that is obviously at the mercy of nature but if you do it and have a decent swim with a whale shark it will be something that you will never forget.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with whale sharks-worth the money??

We did it a few years ago, off of Isla Holbox. For us, it was MORE than worth it. They are amazing animals. But they are migratory, and it is getting near the end of the "season" for them. The tours stop in Sept. because they have left the area by then.

Level Contributor
4,534 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with whale sharks-worth the money??

I thought it was incredible to be so near these humongous, graceful creatures. I would also definitely do it again.

I had went last year at the beginning of the season. Had the incredible bonus of being in the water with the giant manta rays too. That was way too cool!!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with whale sharks-worth the money??

I did the whale shark tour in July and we had an amazing time. It was definitely worth the money. There were 12 - 15 sharks at that time. I swam three times right next to the shark! A once in a lifetime experience! But, I will do this again in the future.

I suggest taking dramamine for sea sickness before boarding the boat. Many people on my boat were sick and did not enjoy their tour, they just wanted to head back to land.

Here are my photos from the tour (this also has Akumal turtles in the album too).

…google.com/106562490672266088238/…

Cottingham, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with whale sharks-worth the money??

Thanks for the replys, to be honest I think I would have still done it even if you had said negative things but now I'm really keen to do it! One more thing, is it snorkelling or scuba diving?

Thanks in advance

jersey channel...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with whale sharks-worth the money??

Hi All,

Of to P M in Ist March 2011 will i miss the whale sharks ????????

Thanks

Level Contributor
4,534 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with whale sharks-worth the money??

Only snorkeling. No diving with them :-(

I think March is too early-?-

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
315 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming with whale sharks-worth the money??

And another big plus is that they are wild animals - unlike the sorry, exploited, caged dolphins you can swim with.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming with whale sharks-worth the money??

Jpm--it is snorkelling only. To dive with the whale sharks, you have to have a government permit to do so.

Bridgnorth
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming with whale sharks-worth the money??

We are going to Xcaret soon, and want to do a tour, can anyone recommend one?