We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas cook excursions@ERC (uk)

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
west Yorks
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas cook excursions@ERC (uk)

Can any one tell me the main excursions they run and costing if Possible of say, chichan itza/coba day trip.

Also can any recall the scuba company at ERC. I have emailed them but not yet had a reply.

Thanks x

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas cook excursions@ERC (uk)

I don't know if there have been any changes since last April but the scuba people were Aquatours. I'll be there on Tuesday and if any different, i'll post

John

west Yorks
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas cook excursions@ERC (uk)

Thank you John that would be great we go on 29th nov.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas cook excursions@ERC (uk)

Hi

They were still Aquatours when we were there this April/May

Remember you can use any tour company to do your excursions and not just TC so make sure you get the best deal at the resort

west Yorks
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas cook excursions@ERC (uk)

I know re trips. Just wondered for costings so can decide while in uk.

Will prob end up booking before we go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas cook excursions@ERC (uk)

I personally would advise against booking before you go as IMPO it gives you less flexibility; I like to get to the resort, see what the schedule/weather is like, and then book. Also, you could be ill so if you book before you go and aren't well enough to go that would be frustrating (and not all trips are exchangeable).

I've visited Coba; we did a trip with Alltournative where you rappel into a cenote, before zipling back across, canoe down a small river, trek about 10 mins through a jungle (seeing wildlife inc some amazing birds and wild monkeys), before seeing a Mayan ceremony and swimming in an amazing cenote. We then had lunch before heading to Coba, which you can still climb. A photographer is with you the whole day and you can purchase a whole package of photos for 60 USD. It cost about £90 but was excellent value for money IMPO.

I've done the dive with the resort, and personally, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to a first-time diver; a lot of people got spooked during the dive and training was minimal to say the least, which doesn't give you the most confidence; some people barely took in everything that was covered. Personally if you were considering diving I would be inclined to have a couple of lessons back home (which isn't that expensive) to grasp the basics and see if it's for you. Or, head into Puerto Morelos (approx 100 pesos each way) and go with one of the dive shops there. Otherwise, an introductory dive with pool training costs about £70 at the resort. You can also do 'combo packages' which combine a dive with the Jungle Tours (speedboat and snorkel) trip, etc.

HTH

west Yorks
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas cook excursions@ERC (uk)

Thank you for your reply. It does help, so if we don't book anything whilst still at home we are not just lumbered with the tour operators excursions and we can book trips in town easily.

Re diving: he's already got his Padi certificate so is looking to do some serious diving and I think had looked at aquatours website this weekend for prices.

Just having a rough idea is great as it let's us budget that bit better.

west Yorks
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas cook excursions@ERC (uk)

Sorry was aqua nauts he looked at over the weekend not aqua tours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas cook excursions@ERC (uk)

If he's got his PADI I'd suggest going with a company in town rather than from the resort; I didn't notice any experienced divers going from the resort when we were there, most were doing introductory dives, and qualified divers were being dragged along with unqualified divers. There are several dive shops in Puerto Morelos inc Aquanuts (who you've already checked out), Wet Set, and Dive In; maybe ask for some recs on here.

Re trips you might not find that prices in town differ a great deal; we usually book with our rep for ease, but do be careful; if you book with a big company like TC you're more likely to end up on a massive coaching stopping all over the place, so check group sizes and maybe check out other tour operators at the hotel; I think the hotel can also book excursions for you (or there's a desk you can book them from).

HTH

west Yorks
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas cook excursions@ERC (uk)

Thanks for your help.

I'll get him looking at padi later tonight.

I'm happy to do coach trips but last few places we've been we got there late and rep meeting is 1st thing and you feel the need to book with them straight away just in case you miss out. Knowing that the hotelk can do it as well is a bonus.

Thank you all again :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas cook excursions@ERC (uk)

Never feel under pressure to book straight away; I usually just take the leaflets, and ask when they'll next be in and available, or else arrange to come back in 1 or 2 days time to book any trips. If you can't be bothered listening to a whole presentation, turn up late and just ask for their info leaflets on excursions.

Also, the two visits I've had to Mexico our flight has landed at around 2pm local time (pretty sure this is the case with TC), so we were at our hotel and in the room by about 4.30pm both times; we unpacked, ordered room service, then grabbed an early (9pm) night, and were up nice and early the next day. Usually the meeting won't be at the crack of dawn as they know people have had a long flight; ours were both about 10-11am so we had time for breakfast before heading there.

It does help to do some research first so you can go in with a rough idea and then ask about those tours specifically. I'm not sure what you like but the Coba one with Alltournative is very good and should be bookable with your rep or the hotel; you also might want to look at:

Tulum (another ruins; very pretty, amazing beach)

Xel-ha or Xcaret, both ecoparks with loads of actitivities eg snuba, snorkelling, cliff jumping etc

Selvatica, Hidden Worlds, or Xplor: all offer ziplining and cenotes plus have different extras eg dune buggies, segways, jeeps etc

Jungle Tour: you drive a two-seater speed boat down the river then stop to snorkel

Dinner cruises eg romantic lobster dinner cruise

HTH