We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping in mexico

Calgary
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tipping in mexico

A online travel agency recently posted that american money is know longer accepted as tips in resorts and money must be exchanged into pesos upon arrival....... can anyone comment on this?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,688 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping in mexico

incorrect. All the travel agencies are covering their B**t

There are huge number of similar postings on this same subject so please review the last few pages or go up one forum and look at Riviera form

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping in mexico

Just get pesos and tip in pesos. You are in Mexico.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping in mexico

Hi,

Can you name the agency??

=)

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping in mexico

we just got back and tipped in dollars...til we ran out :)

the restrictions are for over 100.00 USD per transaction....

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping in mexico

Since the poster in this case is from Calgary I would suggest just buying pesos. Since you have to exchange your money one way or another - you may as well change it to the currency of the country you are visiting.

I buy mine from the bank ahead of time and take them with me. We use are credit card for all purchases on the resort (spa) and for large purchases off the resort so it is used mostly for tipping, taxis, food, transfers, snorkelling and shopping.

If you need more you can always get more pesos from an ATM.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,473 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping in mexico

I believe the restriction is for anyone wishing to exchange in excess of US$1,500 per month, although some business may be limiting how much US they'll accept to $100 per transaction too.

As noted by Wink, since you're coming from Calgary, skip the US dollars altogether (unless you happen to have some lying around that you're desperate to unload). I usually buy enough pesos to last me the first few days and then withdraw pesos directly from my own bank account via ATM as and when I need them. You can order pesos directly from your own bank of, if you prefer, there's a foreign currency exchange place in Chinook Mall.

If you plan on using ATMs in Mexico, apart from the usual cautions that go along with that (checking the slot for tampering, for instance), there are a couple of other things:

- if you don't have a four digit PIN, get one;

- notify your bank of your travel dates. Foreign withdrawals can be a red flag to their security department and you don't want them freezing your account on you; and

- check what your bank will charge you for foreign withdrawals. Most Canadian banks are quite reasonable but many US and UK ones are not. In fact, in some cases their fees are so outrageous that using an ATM at all may not be a viable option for those folk.

One last thing - I make sure that my bank account only has a limited amount of cash in it - i.e. enough for my vacation with a bit of a cushion but not thousands of dollars more than I expect to need and certainly not ALL the cash I have. That way, if the worst happens and my card gets compromised, there's a limit to the amount of damage the "bad" guys can do.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,818 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping in mexico

Definitely we Canadians in particular should be using pesos and not USD when in Mexico...I can never understand that, maybe if you have leftover US from a trip there, but to go into your bank and get USD specifically to take to Mexico really puzzles me. You are getting raked on exchanging your money not once but TWICE....not smart!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,818 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping in mexico

and actually, the four digit PIN requirement is no longer the case....at least that is what I have read elsewhere.

They have long since replaced the older style ATMs which would only accept a four-digit PIN.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
779 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping in mexico

I used atm.'s in P.M. in Jan. of this year. would have gotten a good exchange rate if terminal fee ($4.-5 Cdn.) wasn't in the equation. Would have been 13:1, but ended up11:1 (after figuring in the extra fee). Do all machines charge this terminal fee?

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping in mexico

If you are from Canada, why you get worried about USD???

Once in Mexico exchange your Canadian Dollars into Pesos, u know, the local currency.

=)