We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who has snorkeled from Secrets Silversands beach?

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Who has snorkeled from Secrets Silversands beach?

I have watched a few videos and it looks rather shallow. Does it get deep enought to swim without sraping the coral below? I\

We are planning to bring our own mask and snorkels, but would like to rent/borrow fins and life jackets from the watersports hut. I asume this is possible?

Also anyone know of a cheap online place to buy watershoes cause they won't be selling them around here till summer.

1. Re: Who has snorkeled from Secrets Silversands beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 16:29
Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who has snorkeled from Secrets Silversands beach?

If you've snorkeled before, you may not find this a good experience. You'll have to either 1) very carefully walk on a boulder field of slippery rocks for quite a ways out until you may be able to swim, or 2) walk left up the beach a bit until you can safely enter the water.

Best bet is hop into Puerto Morelos & pay one of the boat guys to take you out for a few hours. More stuff to see at this reef.

I liked the SSS resort. The beach was just ok. But no safe water entry or swimming in front of the resort.

WalMart in Playa del Carmen sells aquasocks for 100-150 pesos, depending on the style. We bought some there to use at XPLOR.

Bye,

SeaBass

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
156 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who has snorkeled from Secrets Silversands beach?

I have posted the videos on youtube (id = vegasvec) of what it is like underwater off of SSS. We were there in August and I personally found the snorkelling better off of SSS for a few reasons.

We paid for a trip at cozumel, but I wasn't impressed, despite being one of the best spots in the world to snorkel. This was mainly because there is almost no coral in Cozumel. You also snorkel several hundred yards off of the shore, and within site of the large cruise ships.

We did some some pretty fish and the water is amazingly clear. But other than that, I enjoyed snorkeling around off the resort.

Some suggestions:

h

1. Get water shooes, good ones. My wife bought us both water shoes from LL Bean and they were AWESOME! Like sneakers underwater!

2. You can get free snorkels and masks from the Aqua World booth. But they have a time limit. I would just recommend bringing your own.

3. The water is not very clear, but it gets better the further you go out.

4. Bring crackers with you. The fish will get much closer to you.

5. Keep your eye out! We found all kinds of cool (and not so cool) stuff underwater! There are a ton of conch shells to the north of the resort as well!

Have fun!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who has snorkeled from Secrets Silversands beach?

Oh, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not feed the reef fish crackers!!!! Or, any other human food. Good grief. Just enjoy them in their own habitat eating what they should be eating.

5. Re: Who has snorkeled from Secrets Silversands beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2011, 05:16