We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it worth leaving erc for a day to tour the ruins?

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nj
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
is it worth leaving erc for a day to tour the ruins?

we will be staying at erc for 7 days. from what i read, the ruins are a day trip. is it worth being away from the resort for an entire day to see the ruins? should we book outside the resort or at the resort? any opinions welcome. thanks

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it worth leaving erc for a day to tour the ruins?

I think it actually is worth it to go to Puerto Morelos for a day. True, Hurricane Beulah really messed it up and made the light house all crooked and stuff, but that was in 1967 and they've fixed it up real good now including a new light house, so I really wouldn't call it ruins anymore.

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it worth leaving erc for a day to tour the ruins?

It's worth leaving the resort for so much more than just the ruins, but that's another topic.

Do the Tulum/Xel Ha day trip. The Tulum ruins are a sight to see at least once in your lifetime. There is a nice beach below the ruins for a quick dip. Xel Ha is a snorkelers paradise, again, worth seeing once in a lifetime. You won't regret this day trip. Everyone offers the same trip, so just book at your resort and go the day it is most convenient for you.

I'd recommend doing the day on your own, but I think the learning curve would be too great in your case.

Enjoy.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it worth leaving erc for a day to tour the ruins?

I guess I don't know which ruins you were talking about, but the trip to Chichen Itza is well worth a day. It is a full day, but so very interesting and educational.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it worth leaving erc for a day to tour the ruins?

There are lots of different sets of ruins, so if you are interested you may want to do a bit of reading and see which one you'd enjoy.

Tulum isn't a bad drive from the area, and most tours can combine it with some snorkeling or other excursions, so it's a great day trip. We used Edventure Tours 2 years ago, and at the time their price was great and their service was very good, too. My only suggestion is that if you're interested in thoroughly exploring the ruins before you move on to other activities, let them know that in advance--we felt rushed through the ruins because of the schedule they had set for the rest of the day. But we loved the 3 different snorkeling experiences they put together for us, so we forgave them. :-)

With Tulum, you're close enough that you'll still have plenty of time for breakfast & dinner at the resort, without feeling too rushed. The resort is wonderful and I know it can be hard to leave, but if you have a great experience planned it's definitely worth it. After all, you are travelling all the way to an area surrounded by these amazing sights, it's nice to take some of them in!

Other options to research include Coba and Chichen Itza. I haven't done either, but there are lots of posts and reviews on TA, so I'm sure you can find out more.

Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is it worth leaving erc for a day to tour the ruins?

Yes!!!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it worth leaving erc for a day to tour the ruins?

it is always worth leaving an all inclusive for even the smallest of reasons.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,621 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it worth leaving erc for a day to tour the ruins?

Get out and see what the area has to offer:

Mayan ruins such as Tulum, Coba, Chichen Itza, Ek Balam

Cenotes like Dos Ojos and Gran

Ziplines at Xplor, Selvatica or Hidden Worlds.

Snorkeling in Akumal

And much more

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
899 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is it worth leaving erc for a day to tour the ruins?

Our vote is for Tulum, it is beautiful and worth the visit! So much to see and

do there! Also the trip to Xel Ha is gorgeous! We plan to go again this next year! We swam with the dolphins, went swimming, walked and took in the sights, worth a day trip!

We were at ERC last April and loved it! hope you enjoy your trip!

Lynn

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it worth leaving erc for a day to tour the ruins?

Oh yes, please don't go to this wonderful, friendly and culteral rich country without stepping outside your resort. If budgets are a factor - not too worry, so many things are free or low cost.

Petrolia Ont. Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it worth leaving erc for a day to tour the ruins?

Any excuse at all to get away from an All Inclusive should be used....get outta there!!!!!!!!