We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plug Adaptor ?

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
jersey channel...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Plug Adaptor ?

Hi All,

Of to the Azul end of Feb,

Can you tell me what type of plug adaptor I need,

( from the UK )

Many Thanks

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
251 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plug Adaptor ?

You will need a 240 to 110 power converter. Here is an example:

http://www.110220volts.com/MF7.html

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plug Adaptor ?

Most electronic devices that use a transformer can accommodate 110 to 240V (mobile phone, kindle, laptop etc.) so for these, just a socket adaptor is needed. However, something like a hair straighteners will not reach a sufficient temperature to be effective.

John

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plug Adaptor ?

You might want to be careful about the mains adaptor shown on that link. It is suitable for laptop and mobile phone chargers (if rated for 110 and 220 VAC operation, which most are), but it does not convert 110 V to 220 V. If you bring any high-power equipment (for hair drying) it must have a 110 V switch. It is technically difficult to convert to a higher voltage at power levels over 100 watts.

The non-converting adaptors, such as on that link, can be picked up in the travel accessories section of a Tesco Extra, Walmart, etc.

Edited: 23 January 2011, 21:57
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plug Adaptor ?

Hi we were at the Excellence in June last year and although I brought with me a adaptor as shown on the link it did not work as the blades that go into the socket were angled unlike in the USA where they were streight. I had to buy another adaptor in the hotel shop. I had no problem charging my mobile or camcorder once I got the correct adaptor. Hope this helps.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
251 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plug Adaptor ?

That is weird! I use our Swedish appliances fine with an adapter like that (with the exception of my flat iron -- I use my American flat iron) But regular US plugs fit fine into those sockets in Mexico.

For a couple other of the tipsters, they are coming from England where the power is being converted from 240 to 110 not 110 up.

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plug Adaptor ?

The angled blades were probably for Australian mains. They look similar to N. American.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
251 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plug Adaptor ?

I'm sure the one I posted in the link is a crappy little option. I just searched the first link I could find for an example. It's a really cheap one but I was trying to display the prong example.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Plug Adaptor ?

Just put the country you're visiting into this travel adapter widget. It'll tell you what you need: travelproducts.com/blog/…

Have fun!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
251 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plug Adaptor ?

That is a great site! But it's US converted to other countries.... Poster needs UK to other counties.

10. Re: Plug Adaptor ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2012, 10:17