We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A vacation's OFFICIAL start?

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A vacation's OFFICIAL start?

I have a friendly question for the group. When does a vacation "officially" start? I say it is at the start of happy hour right after the last day of work prior to leaving. My girlfriend claims it is wheels up in the airplane. Any help with this most important question would be highly appreciated and further help me to keep my mind on what is important. Vacation!

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A vacation's OFFICIAL start?

As soon as you turn your computer off at work...that's when the vacation starts, at least mine does.

Black Hills of...
Level Contributor
756 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A vacation's OFFICIAL start?

I guess to me it starts when the "stress" stops and that's usually when we're finally airborne. Having to be at the airport by a certain time, going through security, etc. just does not qualify as vacation to me.

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
202 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A vacation's OFFICIAL start?

Officially for me it's when wee leave the house to head to the airport, but unofficially it's when I start packing the bags, which could be a week ahead of time. LOL!

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
202 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A vacation's OFFICIAL start?

Officially for me it's when wee leave the house to head to the airport, but unofficially it's when I start packing the bags, which could be a week ahead of time. LOL!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A vacation's OFFICIAL start?

I'm not leaving for 47 days and I feel like it has already started. I'm not getting anything done - I am spending too much time on TA.

I think there are various stages of when it begins. The day before, when I am running around doing errands - that's a stage. When we lock the door to the house and drive to the airport - that's a stage. Wheels up - that's a stage. I do, however, believe that the biggest indication of being on vacation is when I finally get my wristband and get in my room. At that point, there is no turning back, no more stress or planning.

Hiawatha, Kansas
Level Contributor
854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A vacation's OFFICIAL start?

When I leave the house and head out of town.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
251 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A vacation's OFFICIAL start?

I would have to say when the plane is in the sky... so many times it's delayed or something is wrong with the plane and we don't get out on time or at all. So I want all that stress to be gone and well on my way when I'll be happy and ON VACATION!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A vacation's OFFICIAL start?

When I leave work for sure... in a great mood, have a few pre-vacation cocktails while packing... since I'm leaving on a Mon-Mon this year, I'll have 10 days off in a row! WOO HOO! 13 more sleeps for us...

Minnesota
Level Contributor
564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A vacation's OFFICIAL start?

Mine will officially start when we arrive in Puerto Morelos, we drop our bags in our room, and head to the Ojo de Agua to put our feet in the sand and enjoy a cold cerveza with chips and salsa.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A vacation's OFFICIAL start?

When I walk out the door of the office. I feel like a dog off his leash :) I want to run around and I always yell something!