We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for you EDR returning guests

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for you EDR returning guests

My DH and I may have the opportunity to return to EDR casitas this summer using our timeshare. We went back in Feb 07 and loved it but have since fallen in love with EPM. I am curious as to the positive changes that have happened at EDR since our last visit (they were building the new casita spa etc last time we were there).Also, I am worried with how much the resort has grown since our visit. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for you EDR returning guests

Hi Jneil,

Yes...there is a beautiful new spa in the casita section. There is also a new Italian restaurant in the casitas...although we still prefer the atmosphere in the original D'Italia.

There are 8 casita sections now, with that last section being block 32. They are finished building casitas. A very famous Mexican musician has built a lavish home right next to block 32 in the casitas. It is built in the same style (somewhat) as the casitas and at first glance it looks like it is one of the presidential suites...but it is indeed a private residence. That is the end of the property.

Even though they have added on...the casitas still have that intimate feel of your own private community. Something we have yet to find at any other resort (in Mexico or elsewhere.) They have added a fabulous lunch spot to the covered pool bar area of block 31. Delicious wraps and sandwhiches! Very convenient and cover ups aren't required!

The two newest sections of casitas are infinity plunge pool casitas. Lovely. I posted a video and lots of pics on facebook, if you're interested.

Camel rides! That is something new! Haven't tried it and probably won't cause I would feel bad for the camels but people seem to be enjoying it.

I have always been intrigued by EPM. Nearly booked it 2 years ago and decided to go to IB Grand, instead. Although the Grand was lovely...it wasn't the casitas and we were very disappointed in the food there (well breakfast and lunch, mostly.) Some of the dinners were very good. Anyway...we are very reluctant to stray from the casitas now...as we are afraid we'll be disappointed again. Vacation time is precious to us as we don't get a lot of it!

If we WERE ever to try another resort in the area, it would probably BE EPM. There are other things that are more important to us than a great beach. What do you love about EPM? Maybe you can convince me!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for you EDR returning guests

Kimlo,

Thanks so much for the information. We loved our last vacation at EDR. My DH loved the set up of the casitas with the swimup bars and the outdoor shower. I love the rooms at EPM, I think the food and variety of food is better, and I love the extras of the excellence club. We use their EC pool with its own private bar (albeit not a swim-up like at EDR). I also think the entertainment is better, there seems to be more of a nightlife at EPM (even though we had a hard time staying up our last trip!) I am sure I will bombard you with more questions and feel free to do the same.

We will probably get a regular casita so which sections do you recommend? Last time, we were in 28, second floor end unit with a great view of the ocean (which is important to me).

Thanks again.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for you EDR returning guests

Jneil,

For some reason I am partial to block 30. It's the newest of the casita sections with the regular swimups and it is right next door to bock 31, where that great lunch place is. They did however, just completely renovate Block 25. I still prefer block 30.

That is funny about the nightlife. I am embarrassed to say that in all our 6 trips, we have never made it to ONE show. Of course we are up at 5 AM every morning. After dinner, we usually stop at one of the beach bars (or sometimes the Martini Bar...although, that's usually our befrore dinner drink place. Haha.)

Edited: 26 March 2011, 11:23
Boston
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for you EDR returning guests

Does 30 have a hot tub?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
46 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for you EDR returning guests

Yes there is a hot tub in block 30. We stayed in block 30 last time, we never got to use the hot tub as it was way too hot. But it is there!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions for you EDR returning guests

Thanks phisigsweety, looking forward to reading your take on the changes since your last visit! What time of the year did you go last time?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
46 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions for you EDR returning guests

You're welcome Jneil. I was at EDR in 2005 and again in 2008. I am excited to see the finished Casita Spa and changes since we were there last.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions for you EDR returning guests

Emily,

Don't forget to walk down to the end of the casita blocks and check out that house.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
46 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions for you EDR returning guests

I know I am very excited to see it, maybe I will get a glimpse of the famous guy who lives there too. If I do see him I will take pictures :) We definantly enjoy walking and exploring the grounds. We could not find Rincon last time but this time I am going there for lunch for sure! I heard 26 was renovated as well as 25. They made it sound like 27 was re done too. I asked for a top floor room in 26 and if not I would like 30 as we were in 30 last time and liked it. EDR has pictures of 26 on their facebook and the new furniture looks nice. Finally a couch!

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions for you EDR returning guests

Thanks, Emily.

Did not know about the new furniture in 26 and 27. That's great. I agree...a couch was definitely needed. Although, this year we had a loveseat sofa type thing in block 32 and only used it for a catch all. LOL.

The reason I mentioned block 25 as being the only one renovated was because last year when we were there, they had the entire section roped off. They were blasting concrete and pouring new cement by the pool and everything. It really got a facelight. Not aware if they have done that kind of extensive work in any other sections. Maybe it's not needed yet. Even the oldest casita blocks are relatively new in comparison to the rest of the resort.