We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Condo, no Resort

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
759 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Condo, no Resort

Hope this can help somebody out there, just as I've been helped so much by others here.

Wife and I have been leaving the kids home with grandparents for a week every year for about 12 years to go down to Mex., Jam., Costa Rica, etc. Always stayed at an all-inc. resort. After returning from the Now Jade in Jan. of this year, we decided to take the kids to Puerto Morelos for March Break.

Mar. 15 - Arrived at Playasol condos. This was really our first choice for accommodations since it is very close to town and we had snorkelled the beach there the last couple of years and saw turtles, rays, cudas. Our kids (son 14, daughter 10) loved the snorkelling. Playasol itself is very nice - pool, on the beach, clean rooms, well maintained.

On Sun., the 20th, we hired a taxi to Chichen Itza. Put our own tour together as follows : 6:00 a.m. pick up; C.I. at 8:00 a.m.; 11:00 a.m. leaving C.I.; lunch in Temozon; Ek Balam at noonish; 3:00 p.m. leaving E.B.; back at condo at 5:00ish. The early start allowed us to miss the crowds at C.I. There is a cenote at E.B. to cool off with a swim (X-CANCHE). Our taxi driver was the best - very good english, courteous, professional, prompt, helpful, informative, safe and fast on the roads - I really can't say enough good things about this person. He was great. Hired him also to take us to airport for flight home.

His name is "EL MAGO", Alejandrocazares@gmail.com, ph.#9981001953.

Restaurants - I'll list them and give our thought, based on the food, atmosphere, and price:

Tacos.com, Petitas, Pesquera, Pescador, Ojo de Agua, Spagatini - all very good.

El Tio - our favourite. Great food.

Loncheria Mimi - another place with great Mex. food.

Don't know the name of this place, but at corner of Ninos Heroes and the main road is the little place cooking "Mayan lunch" - delicious.

David Lau's - it was just o.k.

One place that was recommended to us that we didn't try was the conchinita behind the 7-11 on the Colonia side.

Bought our groceries and booze at Martin's - for a one week stay we didn't see the need to go out of town to save a couple of bucks.

Fresh fruits and vegetables from the market Wed. morn.

Used atm next to Martin's for pesos. Ended up getting 11.80-11.90 pesos to $1. Cdn. from various withdrawals during the week. Cambio next door to atm was offering 11.20 pesos for $1. Cdn. Substantial savings using atm.

We are planning on staying off of the resorts for our future trips (for now, at least), wherever our destination may be. It was a more authentic experience, and we were sort of getting tired of the resorts. Buenes tarde.

Boston
Level Contributor
604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Condo, no Resort

Thanks for the report. We plan on going to PM next spring with our kids - they will be 5 and 8. I'm looking to rent a condo too since all the resorts seem to be AI. We want to be on the beach but walking distance to town.

MN
Level Contributor
610 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Condo, no Resort

Ooh, how exciting! Another review that is non-AI! I love these are we are planning to go to PM in 2012 and would rather not do a resort or AI. What are your overall thoughts of Playasol condos?

riviera maya
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Condo, no Resort

Tanks alot just one little mistake the mail is.

alejandro.cazares@gmail.com

riviera maya
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Condo, no Resort

Just one little thing

The mail is

alejandro.cazares@gmail.com

And again txs.

Taunton...
Level Contributor
829 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Condo, no Resort

Thanks for the post, we are going with our 3 kids 8/9/11 and staying at Casita Blanca in June. We been to Tulum and Coba, and liked your post on your CI trip. Would you mind sharing what the cost of hiring the Cab for the day was? We havent been to CI, as we didnt want to go on a tour , but your review sounds a lot more enjoyable day then we would have thought.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
759 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Condo, no Resort

sunlvr - Playasol was great - location, cleanliness, just an all round excellent layout for us and the kids.

jeffpags - our Chichen Itza trip turned out even better than I thought it would. I would recommend to anybody to do it the same way. Ek Balam and the cenote there (and lunch on the way there) held way more appeal to us than going to Valladolid like the tours do. Ek Balam is very, very cool. The taxi driver, elmago, posted above, just before you did. Talk to him about rate. Excellent guy.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Condo, no Resort

Gonna be there next week and are going to hire your cab driver and do CI the same way. Efficient trip and a chance to see some diff areas. Thanks for the tip!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
759 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Condo, no Resort

LoveMD - one tip: if you go to the cenote at Ek Balam, it is a 2 km walk down the path after you pay your fee. We didn't know that and walked it. Since you'll probably already be fairly hot, as we were, there are bikes for hire to take you there. Have fun.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Condo, no Resort

Good to know, el mago mentioned that or one near CI that is supposedly one of the best cenotes.

MN
Level Contributor
610 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Condo, no Resort

Great! I will keep Playa Sol on my short list for next year. Thanks!