We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
day trips

My daughter wants to swim with the dolphins and visit ruins during our fall visit to secrets silversands. Without a lot of lecturing can someone make some recommendations.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,636 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips

While I support seeing these creatures in the wild, perhaps do research on which facilities treat the dolphins the best in their dolphinarium. Open pens are better than small enclosed concrete pools

You can swim with the turtles in Akumal in the open

Tulum Ruins can be done by yourself and in a few hours

Other wise Chichen Itza and Coba are great day long trips

Taunton...
Level Contributor
853 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips

edventures out of Akumal is great.. they don't do swimming with dolphins but they do take you to swim with sea turtles... and also Yal-KU nice little cove with loads of tropical fish to swim with, they are based right at Tulum as well

Minnesota
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips

A few years ago we went to Xelha (xelha.com). My daughter swam with the dolphins and still talks about it. The dolphin enclosesure is basically a small lake, not a pool.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips

Would not reccommend swimming dolphins at Xcaret or Xelha

Very small swimming Pool.

Isla Mujueres has the best dolphin experience. Which you can do as a day trip - although it would be a long one. Ferry goes from Cancun all day until 11pm

Xcaret night show is great. we did the after 3pm pass which was much cheaper. Its like a mexican zoo..

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips

Thanks everyone. I have been doing some research but haven't decided where yet! I don't want to do it only her and I just want to watch any ideas?

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips

Second the reco for turtles at Akumal.

Would she settle for monkeys instead? You could write for a reservation at Jungle Place ($50pp, must have reservations a few months in advance)? You get to go into the cages with them (you do not say how old she is, they do have an age limit).

Another suggestion is to rent a car and drive to visit the Coba ruins and also visit the Punta Laguna monkey reserve (this can only be done via taxi or rental car, tours do not go to Punta Laguna as far as I know and public transport is difficult if it exists at all). You do need a guide at Punta Laguna.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips

When my son and daughter swam with dolphins at Xelha I did not swim with them. I only watched. Very safe and the kids had a ball. I would go again with the kids in a heartbeat.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips

Where do you suggest getting a guide for Punta Laguna?

9. Re: day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 08:20