We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental-should I bother?

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental-should I bother?

I got a FREE car rental with the package I just booked on bookit. Is there any need for a car around here? I wouldnt mind doing some sight seeing, going to nearby towns etc but i was just wondering if a) theres anything to see nearby b) is it crazy chaotic driving and c) is it safe?

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental-should I bother?

If it is really free, take it. Then study forum posts regarding driving in QR

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental-should I bother?

If you are going to rent a car in Mexico make sure you type in the word "scam" into the TA search engine and read up on them. Also make sure you get the full insurance, don't rely on the collision waivier clause on your dredit card.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental-should I bother?

The first thing I'd suggest is that you skip over to the Playa del Carmen forum and look in the "Top Questsion" box on the right-hand side. Look for the topic entitled "rental cars and parking lots" and read EVERYTHING you can - especially anything to do with scams perpetrated by the rental companies, the local constabulary and gas stations. I'd also recommend that you read the topic entited "what to do if you're pulled over by the police".

As for the car being free, I strongly suspect that it won't include the cost of the insurance (which is recommended by many, including Mapchick/Laura, whom I consider to be one of the foremost experts on this region). If that's the case, then you're going to have to decide if the cost of insurance is worth it.

Another thing you might want to confirm is whether or not your resort offers parking at no charge. I've never rented a car here and thus have no idea whether that's even an issue but it occurs to me that that may be another cost to add on to your "free" car rental.

Kudos to you for wanting to make an informed decision.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental-should I bother?

To not have a car in Quintana Roo would be a shame. There is so much to see and do and driving is the best way to do it. Driving in Mexico is no different than driving back home - the biggest challenge is Cancun itself - other than that, the roads are excellent, the traffic light and places are easy to find and awesome to explore. Yes, sometimes the biggest challenge can be the 'police' along the way but incidents are really few and far between. Your credit card usually won't cover extra insurance in Mexico so to be safe, purchase it. I've just started posting video about my holidays in Quintana Roo @ www.yolotraveller.com.- including driving around. I always drive, I always rent a car and I always have fun. Try it, you will like it.

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental-should I bother?

Thousands of tourist rent cars here every year wth absolutely no problems with scams, police or any other problems. Having a car here makes your daily options so much better. Car rental companies are currently renting cars for as low as 5 dollars a day without any hidden gimmicks so having one included in a package for free does not sound that strange.

Canmore
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental-should I bother?

Definitely take the car...my husband and I had so much fun when we rented one.

You can go to so many more places at your own leisure! The only thing we did that maybe someone could give advice on, is we parked close to the Cozumel ferry, walked on, and rented another jeep when we got to Cozumel! We found the automobile ferry didn't have a great schedule. Anyhow, we don't regret our decision, because Cozumel is a fantastic island!

Have fun...so jealous!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental-should I bother?

FFC is right ...Renting in Cozumel is the best option, no point in taking your vehicle across. Driving in the Mayan Riviera seems to be a major concern for many, while for us that do it all the time - it's not a big deal. I'm more concerned about driving on the Deerfoot in Calgary than anywhere in the MR - except perhaps Cancun. The difference is if you are in an accident - so getting the extra insurance is the smartest thing you can do. I'm posting video about driving and places to drive to, you would surprised how little traffic there is and how easy it flows. I wish it did the same back home.

www.yolotraveller.com

Edited: 03 May 2011, 23:15
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental-should I bother?

So FFC...think we should tell them about the Topes ...or let them find out for themselves ? ..... ;)

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental-should I bother?

" I'm more concerned about driving on the Deerfoot in Calgary"

Lol, lol, lol - I had TWO near misses on the Deerfoot today. Why are Calgary drivers such a bunch of tools?

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental-should I bother?

Thank you everyone!! I have a few weeks to weigh my options-we expect to pay for insurance and we always do when we rent in Costa Rica. Its through Hertz at Cancun airport which is hopefully reputable, but who knows. As long as its reasonably simple to navigate and the roads and signage is good then we should be OK. Are the police easily bribed? lol