We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much sunscreen to pack???

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How much sunscreen to pack???

My family is heading to El Cid next week for 8 days ( 2 adults and 2 children). We are trying to decide how many bottles of sunscreen we need to pack in our checked bags.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much sunscreen to pack???

I pack at least 1 oz per person per day. If you go in the water a lot I would take twice that much. Getting burned is not fun.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much sunscreen to pack???

Thanks, that helps!!!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much sunscreen to pack???

the bottle may say how many applications are in it, its just math from there.

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much sunscreen to pack???

This month's Consumer Reports came in the mail. Yes, I am Old School.

The article says 2-3 tablespoons over most of your body or spray on as much as you can rub in evenly.

New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much sunscreen to pack???

I was in Puerto Morelos for 8 nights at the end of May. I went through two full bottles of sunscreen for just me. The sun is really strong there.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,726 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much sunscreen to pack???

I think I must be lucky with my skin tone or something. Unless I'm out sailing, I rarely use sunscreen except on my face. I also don't sit/lie in the sun for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. Despite not spending lots of time in the sun at the end of a couple of weeks, I'm as dark as my Belizean friends.

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much sunscreen to pack???

We're "cheating". Even here in the state where you can only go swimming outside 3 months a year; some stores sell cheap Rash Guards/Swim Shirts or there are websites that sell them.

We are going to try those.

Does any store in Puerto Morelos sell rash guards/swim shirts? How about the Mega or Walmart in Playa? I ordered one for my wife online and when it arrived, I noticed that the tag says "Made In Mexico".

new york
Level Contributor
421 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much sunscreen to pack???

Go to Sam's Club or BJ's and pick up 3 -3packs of sunscreen. You may come home with one full container but it beats paying 20.00 per bottle

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
351 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much sunscreen to pack???

Double up on the sunscreen. bug spray, one thingy of wipes or skintastic.

I never take off my t-shirt because of a burn I received many years ago. Ruined three days of my vacation. I apply every 20 minutes and that is when I'm in the shade. Once burned, shame on sun, twice burned, shame on me.

Aurora, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much sunscreen to pack???

You won't need much. The forecast for the next 10 days look pretty gloomy.