We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ERC - first vacation to Mexico

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
ERC - first vacation to Mexico

My husband and I will be arriving at ERC on June 16 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary!

First, does anyone have any tips or encouragement - this is our first trip to Mexico.

Second, I am interested in shopping for silver jewelry and other local arts/crafts type stuff. Where do you suggest going and how do you get there?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ERC - first vacation to Mexico

My wife and I head down on the 18th for our 5th trip (first to ERC).

First of all remember you are on vacation in a great area so relax and for get about your normal world. Do not worry about anything at the hotel because you figure it out in a day and then are an "old timer" trust me. Basically they are all the same as to how they work. The lines at the airport will make you groan when you see them, but they move fast. My favorite part is when I am in the van pulling away and headed to the hotel. Thats when I kiss my wife and vacation starts.

Take swim suits in your carry on with lotion so you can get to pool if you have to wait some on the room.

I always get up early the first morning and walk the entire area before anyone is up and moving, that way I get great photos and a good lay out of the hotel zone.

Do not be afraid to go snorkling, to Cancun, Playa or Puerta as the trips are all a blast and you see a lot of good stuff. The local people are all fantastic and the hotel staffs are great.

And do not worry about the rain forcast. It always rains down there some where. No big deal. rememeber you are there and not home at work. LOL

Main thing is, just relax, and have a good time (take about $100 in ones for tips to the staff)

Then start planning your next trip.

Iowa
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ERC - first vacation to Mexico

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. We made our first trip to Mexico 3 years ago and went to ERC. Loved it so much we returned last year. It will knock your socks off. Just sit back and enjoy when you get there.

My wife brought jewerly on both trips. On the first trip she purchased a couple of items at the jewerly store at ERC. On our second trip we again bought an item at ERC and we also went into Puerto Morelos. We found a small shop that had silver just across the town square on the north side. It was in a small 'mini-mall" in the back right hand side. She was very happy with the prices there. U.S. dollars were accepted.

There is also a Mayan Handicraft store a little southwest of the square that you might like.

We walked down the beach to P.M., about a 45 minute walk and took a cab back, $9

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ERC - first vacation to Mexico

Congratulations on your very first trip to lovely Mexico. You have picked a wonderful resort for your first trip and I am afraid that if you love it down there as much as we do then you will compare all future trips to ERC.

We have been to Mexico 6 times and just booked another trip to ERC, the first time we will ever go to the same place twice. It really is the best.

Bring lots of Pesos for tips. And if anyone tells you not to go to Mexico or gives you any flack about violence, drugs etc. Just tell them "Hey I am just going to the beach"

Enjoy and have fun and relax and rest assured you picked a fantastic spot to celebrate your love.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
351 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ERC - first vacation to Mexico

If you are comfortable with negotiating prices, Playa Del Carmen is the place for you. Most women know the price of silver and you will find a lot of it here. Some are really nice pieces. If you negotiate, do so in the currency of your choice, US or PESO's and pay in cash. Don't use the credit cards otherwise you will see some funky exchange rates. If the price starts at 300, don't be surprised if it can't go to 100. Been there and done that. Price gets lower every time you say I'll be back. By the way, do walk the entire shopping district to see what is available. Gift shops at some of the resorts actually have some decent prices on jewelry so don't forget to look there. They make up the margin on selling 30 dollar bottles of sun screen. ;) Really open your mind and just relax. So much beauty to be had. You will feel very safe there. That being said, you are in a different country so don't walk alone at night, etc. Sorry, I have a daughter and by law, I must say that.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ERC - first vacation to Mexico

after you go through customs and push the red light/green light button, you will be harassed by 100 people claiming they have to validate your transportation...do not listen to them. They are time share folks. If you have arranged transportation, you will find them outside holding up company signs.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ERC - first vacation to Mexico

Dawnep65,

With reference to your query regarding silver.

Take a look at a fellow traveller's review “The best staff in the Caribbean” (tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g240327-d499…)

In it, they comment "One additional thing. We wanted to spend one day in Cancun, but did not want to pay $70-$80 for a cab. I looked into taking the bus, but it seemed almost too much of a hassle even though it would be a lot cheaper. We asked our travel rep if there were any other alternatives. As it turns out, there is a silver store in Cancun called Lapis that will send a van to pick you up from the hotel. They only ask that you spend at least 20 minutes in the store. We spent almost an hour, and my wife purchased some jewelry, but she would have purchased that even if we had paid for a cab. We spent several hours at other locations in Cancun, then we returned to the silver store, and they drove us back to the hotel."

Now, I cannot vouch for the quality of the product at Lapis but, if the offer of a ride still stands, it's one hell of a cheap way to get into Cancun and back.

John

Edited: 08 June 2011, 08:46
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ERC - first vacation to Mexico

Great choice for you 25th

Will be returning for a 4th time this Monday coming

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ERC - first vacation to Mexico

John (FFM),

Well, we'll be just 310 days behind you!

Tell me one thing though, the lunchtime BBQ on the beach, is that a recent addition or have I missed it in all my three previous visits and, whereabouts on the beach is it located?

Oh, and just one other thing, dinner dress code for men at Oregano, The Grill and the Lobster House.

I know that you tried to get a definitive answer, for first time guests, from Excellence Resorts on Facebook to the pants/short pants question and that you were directed to each of the Resort's websites. But, if you get the time when you are there, could you find out what the real, real answer is?

E.g. are the rules relaxed at the Resorts and could be re-enforced or, are the websites incorrect.

Enjoy your return 'home'.

John

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ERC - first vacation to Mexico

John

The Beach BBQ was certainly there in April 2010 and it is from memory situated on the far side of the X Lounge towards the Grill/Lobster House

I will check out the dress code rules but I am 99% certain their website is wrong as some people have asked the resorts direct about it. I will take it up with them again when we are in Mexico as we are lucky enough to be meeting some senior people in the know who we have got to know over the years when we are there

Roll on Monday

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ERC - first vacation to Mexico

John (FFM)

I must have lost two of my senses, sight and smell!

During our last visit (Oct 2010) we camped out, on the jacuzzi side of Bar Sol! I visited the beach for a Coco Loco on a few occasions and not once detected the aromas of a BBQ.

We're looking forward to Basmatti next Apriland can add the BBQ to our list of things to do

John