We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from ERC (18-24 Jun 11)

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from ERC (18-24 Jun 11)

We just got back and yes we had a ball. A couple of days of over cast and rain (great for just relaxing and a day on a Cat going to Isla (no sun burn). And the rest of the time was clear and sunny.

Check out my full review on the ERC Hotel Review site. Recommend this hotel in a heart beat. And am basing that on a stay at the Iberostar Grand last year.

Questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks to all on here who helped us make this selection.

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from ERC (18-24 Jun 11)

How would you compare the food and service to the Grand?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from ERC (18-24 Jun 11)

The food is good and the restaurants are good. The dinner experiances are more upgraded at the Grand because you are sitting in lavish restaurants that make you feel you are in Europe. As far as the food quality, I did not notice anything that stood out. Good wines, main courses and deserts.

I liked the 2 out door dining areas (The Grill and the Lobster House) that ERC has. The Grand was all indoor dining.

Waiter staff is well trained and able to answer questions about the courses and were quick on the tables to maintain drinks cleanliness etc.

Breakfast was the same at both.

Room service was timely, hot or cold as needed and a huge selection to choose from.

Again the Grand is ranked higher because of the European feel with the room designs etc. But, heck your in Mexico not France.

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
345 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from ERC (18-24 Jun 11)

krdaniel...just getting ready to book the second week in Sept. and you're exactly who i'm looking for to ask a few questions (someone who has just returned):

#1 Did you book in the "Excellence Club" and if not did anyone that you had spoken to seem to think it was worth the extra $ ?

#2 Category of room that you had booked and what level would you suggest ? Did you hear of people frequently being upgraded for free ?

#3 I've noticed in a few posts that the average age of the vacationers staying at the resort is usually in their 50's...did you find that to be true ?

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

Tom

Waynesboro, PA
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from ERC (18-24 Jun 11)

Tom,

We are heading soon for our 6th stay at ERC, and yes we would only book the Club section, we book the first Club level. It is more private, way less crowded, all day snacks in the Club lounge, computer access and people who work the Club section are muy excellente, not to take away from the rest of the resort as all the employees are super. DO NOT expect an upgrade, we have not gotten 1 in 5 prior trips, if you want a certain category room book it. There is a wide varitey of ages at the resort, honeymooners, middle age and older couples you will not feel left out no matter what age you are. PS you picked a great resort!

Bill

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from ERC (18-24 Jun 11)

We booked the Excellence Club and got an Ocean Front. I like to drink coffee in the morning and watch sunrises and smoke a cigar. We asked for and got a top floor. Room 7359. Also asked for and got a King Sized Bed. The Jr suites are very nice rooms. I used the Excellence club some to check on office e-mails and was easier then walking all the way to the main bldg. Other then that did not use it. We did use the Excellence pool and bar (Moises makes a heck of a bloody mary) but we ventured to other pools now and then. All ages of couples. Lots of newly weds. We are 50-56 and saw lots of folks our age. One thing, it is a couples resort so not a lot of people yelling and hanging out. Is for you and yours to have a nice private time if wanted. We did meet two couples and spent a few hours in the Martini Bar and Exxcellence pool visiting.

So to answer you...the Excellence Club is worth it if you want it. We did. We asked for the type room we wanted and got it (when we did the reservation and then later by e-mail). Luck of the draw? Maybe but we did ask and got it. And all ages just more private then a lot of places we have been to. We have been to the Iberostar Grand (last year) the Sun Palace (year before) and Moon Palace prior to that. ERC is a class act in it's own right. Highly recommended by us.

P.S. We went one year in mid Sep and it was hot hot hot (we were told that is part of their hot season by the locals). So be ready for some heat when you are there.

Edited: 28 June 2011, 00:39
6. Re: Just back from ERC (18-24 Jun 11)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 20:17