We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T-Mobile in Puerto Morelos

Plano, TX
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
T-Mobile in Puerto Morelos

I'll be staying in Now Sapphire at the end of September. Has anybody used their T-Mobilr cell in Puerto Morelos/on the property? Is the coverage good? Were you able to receive calls from the US with no problems? I know we will incur additional roaming charges, I just want to make sure, we'll be able to use the phone with no problems.

Thanks!

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T-Mobile in Puerto Morelos

My T-mobile 2-band recieves calls from in an area from PM to at least as far north as ERC, which is 1 south of Sapphire. The cell tower is line-of-sight outdoors, but you could have problems indoors.

Edited: 31 August 2011, 18:14
Taunton...
Level Contributor
856 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: T-Mobile in Puerto Morelos

We used it a few times and made calls back home and I was surprised how inexpensive it really was, don't recall exact charge/minute but it wasnt excessive

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
41 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T-Mobile in Puerto Morelos

I am leaving for Puerto Morelos this Sunday and in looking at TMobile's website, the price was $1.49 per min from Mexico, which really isn't terrible. You have to add the international calling plan, but that itself is free, only charges for the roaming when calling. On par with what you will pay for a phone card and definitely more convenient. Hopefully service is available at least in some area's so I can call home to check on the kiddo etc

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: T-Mobile in Puerto Morelos

It is exactly $1.49/min or any fraction. There are no additional taxes. You will be charged $1.49 when your phone rings (if it is on in Mex) even if you do not answer. If you answer and talk 59 sec, it is still $1.49 total. Texts are much cheaper.

Up until May 2010, data (internet via cell signal) was free and unlimited in Mex. Then suddenly it rose to $15/MB or any fraction. Beware. You will be be charged $15 if you download even 1 kB. Then if you break the connection and download another 1 kB a minute later, you will be charged another $15.

Indoors at ground floor at ERC the signal may be weak.

Edited: 01 September 2011, 03:34
Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: T-Mobile in Puerto Morelos

Outbound calls to the US are also $1.49/min. If you call a number in Mexico from Mexico, you are charged 2 x $1.49/min. Anyone from the US who calls you is not charged any special fee; to your caller, it is as though you were still in the US. To call the US, hold down the "zero" until "+" appears. Then dial 1 and the area code and number.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: T-Mobile in Puerto Morelos

I used my T-Mobile phone in Puerto Morelos in March. The few calls I made weren't too bad -- but you'll be surprised at how quickly they add up. BUT, as BillLee says, it was the data that really got me -- I ended up with a bill that was over $70 or $80 more than normal. I felt stupid when I got the bill -- never again. Be careful with it.

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: T-Mobile in Puerto Morelos

Voice mail retrieval will not work normally while you are in Mex. Ask a T-Mobile rep how to do that with your phone. As usual, you will be charged the same minutely rate while retrieving voice mail. If you use voice-over-internet with the hotel's WiFi, it is free to call the US. If you get a Skype account (and prepay $10), it is ~3¢/minute.

Edited: 01 September 2011, 03:55
Plano, TX
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: T-Mobile in Puerto Morelos

All, thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us! I will call T-Mobile before leaving and ask to activate international calling. BillLee - thanks for pinting out the voice mail issue - I will also takl to them about that. We don't have data plan so I don't need to worry about internet charges :-)

Thanks!

9. Re: T-Mobile in Puerto Morelos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 20:18