We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Morelos fabulous and inexpensive snorkeling tours

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nevada
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Morelos fabulous and inexpensive snorkeling tours

Love this place. Have been 3 times. Has a protected marine reserve. Go to Peliconas Rest. I may have spelled wrong but just ask any local. Sign up for snorkeling tour. If possible ask for Raul. I have been out with him twice. He has his own boat and it has sun protection as well. He is so passionate and knowledga le about the coral reef. It essentially turns out to be almost a private snorkel session. First time just my partner and I and 2 months ago just my son and I. Raul also snorkels with you so this is great for novice and advanced snorkelers. Last trip (no pun intended) I spotted a huge Spotted Eagle Ray! Fantastic! Also..this trip will be at less expensive by half then the tours you will get from your hotel. If u have this opportunity please let me know by responding when you return home. Enjoy!

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Morelos fabulous and inexpensive snorkeling tours

It is spelt Pelicano's and is a great location, a bit touristy but good margaritas. Glad you enjoyed the reef, a lot of people have worked hard to keep it protected so it has remained safe from motorised water sports. All of our snorkel and dive boats have sun covering only the fishing boats go without. Right now is a great time to go as the weather is lovely and calm, it is always funny to us that when the weather is the best there are hardly any people here. Raul and all the snorkel guides are licensed and experienced, the standard fee is still USD25 for about 1.5 hours on the reef

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Morelos fabulous and inexpensive snorkeling tours

Thanks for the tip

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Morelos fabulous and inexpensive snorkeling tours

For great deep fried whole fish you have to try La Petita

Nevada
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Morelos fabulous and inexpensive snorkeling tours

Yes! That is the restaurant to the left on the beach. The best fried fish and I dont even care for fried fish. Also, the best gguacamole I have found in all of Mexico and that includes Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta!

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,565 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Morelos fabulous and inexpensive snorkeling tours

How much is a cab from ERC? My husband wants to snorkel there in January....and do you just go there and ask for Raul? Or can you book in advance?

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Morelos fabulous and inexpensive snorkeling tours

From ERC to PM town is probably 90 pesos, although I haven't seen the fare posted for that specific route. It might be as low as 60 one way.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Morelos fabulous and inexpensive snorkeling tours

Is there any way to book this ahead of time, or do you just have to wing it and head to the restaurant?

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Morelos fabulous and inexpensive snorkeling tours

I think it is best to 'wing it' so you can gauge the weather and time of day etc. You may want to go early in your trip as it is a sure bet you'll then want to go twice. You can just go to the pier-not necessary to go to the restaurant.

Edited: 17 October 2011, 16:39
Albany, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
543 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Morelos fabulous and inexpensive snorkeling tours

I highly recommend diving dog tours for snorkeling...it was the best trip I've ever been on.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Morelos fabulous and inexpensive snorkeling tours

There is also a Co-op of Snorkeling Tour Guides at the end pf the pier. A tiny office where there are no shortage of good, quality guides. For those that don't swim there is also a glass bottom boat tour available.