We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have been bitten by wild dogs on the beach of Puerto Morelos

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
have been bitten by wild dogs on the beach of Puerto Morelos

I wanna share my experience to futur visitors of Puerto Morelos.

I was jogging on the beach a little further north of Dream Resort and 4 or 5 little wild dogs jumped on me twice and bit me on both legs. had to spend my new years eve at the hospital of Cancun for shots and stiches and then find a flight back home the day after.

Please be adviced

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: have been bitten by wild dogs on the beach of Puerto Morelos

An awful experience I'm sure and I hope you're better.

Lots of people (especially non dog people) don't realise that a dog, wild or otherwise, has a natural instinct to chase after anything that runs. So, for future reference never run near, in front of or away from a dog - it'll just make it come after you all the more and yes, jump up and bite at your legs too.

This article might be useful - 2keller.com/library/how-runners-can-protect-…

Again, I'm sorry you got hurt and hope your injurieis weren't too serious (although if you required stitches, it was obviously more than a scratch).

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: have been bitten by wild dogs on the beach of Puerto Morelos

Wow, that's terrible. So sorry to hear your New Years was ruined. Thanks for the warning.

Level Contributor
892 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: have been bitten by wild dogs on the beach of Puerto Morelos

I like to walk/run/skip on the beach really early in the morning, when hardly anyone is out. My "plan" for if I ever run into dogs is to jump in the ocean.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: have been bitten by wild dogs on the beach of Puerto Morelos

This is the second report of dog bites along the beach in Puerto Morales in less than a week.

Although I realize this is Mexico, someone in charge needs to take some action with these dogs. If they have no owners, they need to be caught, taken to a shelter (I think there's one in Playa del Carmen) and evaluated. If they're really mean, perhaps, euthanized.

I walk with beach dogs almost every morning here in Belize. Some are strays, some belong to people. All are friendly and glad to have some company as they wander the beach. There are far less of them than there used to be, and the roaming 'packs' seem to be a thing of the past. Kudos to the local humane society.

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: have been bitten by wild dogs on the beach of Puerto Morelos

I would have jumped in the ocean for sure but i didn't see them coming and because i love dogs and never was afraid of them before i would have NEVER though they were going to bite me. They came from nowhere, ran directly to me close to the water and attacked

me wantonly. I know a few other people have been attacked as well on the same beach before and perhaps after me. Eventhough i made a complain at the local police, i doubt they killed them, so pass the word and be warned. Thanks

suffolk, va
Level Contributor
93 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: have been bitten by wild dogs on the beach of Puerto Morelos

Please any experts that reside in Puerto Morelos do you know what action has been taken in respect to dogs attacking walkers/ runners on the beach? I'm looking forward to long beach walks during my month in Puerto Morelos and worry over attack dogs is something I'd like to avoid.

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: have been bitten by wild dogs on the beach of Puerto Morelos

I've stayed in town about 20 times and have walked a mile or so on the beach a few hundred times day and night. Never had a problem with dogs.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,780 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: have been bitten by wild dogs on the beach of Puerto Morelos

As there now appears to be problem these rogue dogs need to be caught and destroyed

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: have been bitten by wild dogs on the beach of Puerto Morelos

I'm in PM now and there's still nothing unusual-- I walked up to Ceiba del Mar (may God bless its little soul) 2 nights ago, but have been going up and down the town beach from north to south in the past days. Have not been to the Dreams-to-Sapphire beach area yet.

Edited: 11 January 2012, 20:57
Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
38 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: have been bitten by wild dogs on the beach of Puerto Morelos

I posted that my wife had been biten last week in the same area. These dogs are just past mayamar in the open lot. If I found them I can't understand how the local authorities can't. I told a family that was staying in that area and had small children on the beach. They were not amused. Once again it will come down to the resorts doing something about because the town officials will not.