We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The "New" Desire Pearl...

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Camarillo...
7 posts
Save Topic
The "New" Desire Pearl...

We have been to both Desire Cancun and Desire Cabo (before the switch to Temptations) many times and have always had a great time. We are "lifestylers" in the way that we like the freedom to do what we want, when we want and with whom we want...also we like the option of being naked, which for most is NOT all the time! I also love the energy and the fun we have with other couples we meet. Actually, we have met fabulous people at both resorts and still socialize out in the "real" world with many of them! But here is my question for you......Will this new resort have the same mind set as the original resorts? Desire in our opinion, after our last trips to both, was lacking in two areas. The food was the EXACT same menu as years earlier and the music was the EXACT same as well! It was to the point that we could recite both the menu and songs that would be played in the disco to others for the week! That's not good! Then, we booked a trip to Ceiba last Aug. for a takeover. We arrived three days prior to the beginning of the SDC takeover and had a great experience! Our suite was ground floor ocean front w/ jacuzzi, we were loving it! Then the SDC event began.....food went from wonderful to slop! The service went from excellent to slllooowwww! And the topshelf liquior disappeared! All becuase a "Lifestyle" group took over! We were shocked. It just said to us that with this type of group, you can charge a mint and give them little in return for the pleasure of being naked! This is why we hadn't booked any trips to Desire lately- we got tired of being treated this way for the amount of money we spend! Will the menu be the same as the other two Desires? Will the music still be of "rave" quaility (meaning only those under 25 will like it!) and will top shelf mean maybe one or two bottles of Captain Morgan and a couple of bottles of Don Julio and maybe a bottle of Sky Vodka available....or will EVERYTHING remain in place from the established fantastic menus and the very well stocked bars? I'm hoping this is the case...if not we'll pass!

Fingers Crossed,

Dixiechick

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The "New" Desire Pearl...

There is another big long thread on the new Desire:

Only time will tell whether or not the new resort will have the same issues as the original but I would suspect that it will, after all it's the same owners and management company. I would bet the farm that they will continue to have takeovers. Lifestylers are a captive market and many of them have the dollars to spend. Demand is higher than supply for this type of resort. Seeing as the facilities look much nicer, we would gladly pay a little more than the old Desire. If the price increase is significant then we will pass.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The "New" Desire Pearl...

Gosh!

Have you not taken time to read the recent posts?

Keep your "lifestyle" behind the walls and not on the beach. That will make for a great vacation for all.

Edited: 11 January 2012, 22:41
Camarillo...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The "New" Desire Pearl...

4Tide...

You missed the point........lifestyle aside, are they going to step it down in terms of service, food and drink now that it is part of the Desire family was what I was getting at. And FYI, just in case you have never been to a clothing optional resort, the key word here is "optional". You decide the level of your nakedness and as far as the rest of the "lifestyle" that also is your choice. So EVERYONE can and will enjoy the beach...relax! Penthouse forum stories about wild sex on the beach and husbands being seduced by beautiful sex crazed women as they walk innocently past on thier way into town are fictitious...sorry.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The "New" Desire Pearl...

I am sorry, but why would anyone on this board know what Desire is going to do with the new property? I think your experience is your answer. I am sorry people are treating you with hostility, but I think the census with the non "lifestylers" is this take over stinks. We will all just have to wait and see.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The "New" Desire Pearl...

Aww c'mon jrud, there's thousands of regular places and this will only the third lifestyle Resort that I know of in the western hemisphere. You should be able to find another place just like, if not better than Ceiba.

Minneapolis
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The "New" Desire Pearl...

I cannot believe how horribly me and my family have been treated by Desire resorts. I was scheduled to have my wedding at Ceiba del Mar, which is now becoming Desire Pearl in Puerto Morelos. I cannot tell you how mistreated and used I feel by them. I have been planning my wedding for over a year and only a few months before I get a call from them saying they have cancelled my wedding due to the change in ownership and management. We also know for a fact that they knew a long time before about the merger and did not care enough to tell us in time to salvage the wedding. My entire party has already bought plane tickets and made travel plans. Because it is such short notice we have not been able to find a place in our budget to get married at that time. This has been so stressful and they never even once apologized or asked to compensate us. We are going to lose thousands of dollars and will now have to pay way more for our wedding and most likely will have to cancel. Believe me....I do not take offense to "clothing optional." Although I would not choose to go to the resort, I respect the others' right to do this. However, the people in the town there are extremely upset and do not want this for their community. Also, the most important day of my life is now ruined and they will not help us pay the difference to reschedule or even really acknowledge how horrible this is. Plus, there are many other wedding parties that are being thrown away and treated this way....even with a legal contract. If the owners of the company operate this way and don't care at all about the negative effects of their compaany's decisions, why would someone want to go here? Seriously....this is disgusting and hurtful behavior. I cannot believe that we are being treated in this way.....choose another clothing optional resort if this is an area of interest for you and by all means....NEVER sign a contract with them as they are not an honorable company at all!!!! They should be ashamed....worst customer service EVER!!!!!!!!!

Victoria, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The "New" Desire Pearl...

@ Dixiechick - I find it very interesting your experience from the Ceiba format to a Lifestyle takeover. We have been to Desire Cabo a couple of times and then tried some Desire Takeovers at the Cabo property when it changed it's format to the Desire format for a week. They really stepped it up a notch with the food and drinks when it changed for the week. I am very surprised they would 'step down' the food and drinks during a takeover at the Ceiba.

But time will tell whether or not the Desire Pearl change will have the same vibe as the original Desire Cancun. It could take a year or two before it even remotely compares to the original Desire resort.

We're so happy now that there will be 3 Desire properties to choose from.

Camarillo...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The "New" Desire Pearl...

Agreed...we were as shocked as you! Ceiba prior to the SDC takeover was fantastic....by far the food was better than either Desire (we have been to both MANY times) and the day the takeover began....complete change-for the worse-(: And the service was so slow....again, shocked! And we payed $100. more per nite for our suite during the takeover for it all!LOL! Never again will we book anything connected with SDC. But with that being said.....yes, time will tell with this new Desire. I'm hoping it will be the "New"upscale version of the other two...that would be awesome! Desire Cancun is old (rooms are cramped and the lighting has always sucked and always smell mildew-ey) and with Cabo turning back into Desire full time but having to put restrictions in place due to the high rise hotel right next door looking down on the pool and grounds, I hope that Ceiba will draw a crowd that expects more and gets it! We too love Desire and all it represents and like I said, our fingers are crossed that this one will be better, after all, they've had the same menu and the same music since our first trip back in early 2005 it's time for something new....just sayin...

Camarillo...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The "New" Desire Pearl...

One more thing....Ceiba Del Mar was not a Desire property at the time of the SDC takeover.....I'm not sure if you were under the impression it was at that time......

Minneapolis
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The "New" Desire Pearl...

No, I was not under that impression at all....but they are still responsible for taking care of the customers and made no attempts to help the families they are negatively affecting in this situation! Plus, the people in that community DO NOT want them there so they should not intrude their values and lifestyles on others!