We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Cards at Costco and Mega

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
624 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Cards at Costco and Mega

A couple of questions about credit cards...

1. In Canada, Costco only accepts American Express. Does the Cancun Costco take Visa?

2. Does Mega take credit cards?

Staying at a villa in Puerto Morelos for the first time in May and really looking forward to it!

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Cards at Costco and Mega

We are here right now. Both take visa etc. Make sure you have PHOTO ID.

Walmart as well will not process card without drivers license,passport,or military photo ID. Also everyone remember to let your card company know exact dates of travel and where you will be. Very common to have card blocked when they don't have notice.

We are having a great time this month.

Everyone travel safe.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
624 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Cards at Costco and Mega

That's great info!

Are the transactions completed in US$? I understand that the currency limits are for cash only.

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Cards at Costco and Mega

The credit card receipt show pesos. Correct on some cash transactions. Remember that you must have passport or color copy of info page to change money at the cambios. The cambio at the airport is the worst exchange rate.

In puerto,the ATM by the ice machine at the grocery store,or the new one by the police station are the best. The ATMs in the little mall area are private owned,and charge a much higher fee. Keep using pesos for purchases. Exchange rate of approx. 12.5 vs. Using dollars at 10.0 equals about 16 percent penalty. Hope this helps.

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Cards at Costco and Mega

Hi our-time-arou.. we are travelling next week from UK, planning on changing GBPounds to peso, we have been quoted here 18.4 peso to GBPound,is that good exchange rate

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Cards at Costco and Mega

We will check the cambio tomorrow after 10:00 am on our way to lunch. Will post what we find.

Cheers!

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit Cards at Costco and Mega

Ripper2297 - check out www.travelmoneymax.com - both Asda and M&S showing more than 18.40 and if you can pre-order and collect at airport Travelex has a higher rate than them.

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit Cards at Costco and Mega

I suspect the cambio in PM is giving about 19.2 pesos per £1. This is a 5% fee off the current mid market rate. Last I checked (11 Jan) it was about 4.6% off the mid market rate for that day, although I was looking at the rate sheet in the back of the booth. If you ask, they might say that the sheet shows old rates, which are now different.

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit Cards at Costco and Mega

Thanks for your help with the exchange rate, has helped alot

Trenton, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit Cards at Costco and Mega

I'm hoping I can use my Walmart discount card there :)

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit Cards at Costco and Mega

Your walmart discount card will most likely not work here. I know that walmart gift cards from outside of Mexico are not accepted here.